Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
MSC
Mate

Re: G2 throwing code 115?

Same with me. 2015 ranger with g2 250ho 40 hours. I've been to 2 different dealers for the same issue the motor shuts down to safe mode.. also had over heat code at 160º and again shut down. I was just told the 115 code has nothing to due with shutting down to safe mode and it is always going to throw that code because I have lowerance electronics. They're have replaced sensors, gaskets and reprogrammed the computer. Also dealer keeps it for month at a time they say warranty work takes longer. I'm looking for another dealer if it happens again after a phone call to evinrude.
Admiral

We are sorry to hear of your experience with an Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard.

A 115 service code is a loss of communication of the private (remote control) network, and the information and signals needed are transferred to the public network (NMEA2000) for backup.

[explanation]

EMM detects no communication on the Remote Control network. Check remote control connections, buss cables, hubs and backbone cable.

Very often it could be from both the engine and/or the controls needing updated software that a dealer can provide.

If your dealer is having trouble diagnosing and repairing your engine, they should take advantage of Evinrude's dealer support group for assistance. You can also email the serial number, dealer name, and a history of your motor to  brp.care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Has anyone found out what there fix was with code 115
Admiral

the fix for code 115 is to find and repair the possible bad connection(s) plus install any applicable updates to the software for the controls, engine, and ICON displays (if installed)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

You may want to read this thread:

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/2016-G2-engine-shuts-down/m-p/27310/highlight/true#M88...

I'm still having problems with the G2 200 I bought last year.  The danger with these network codes if you read my other posts is that you can lose throttle and steering of your boat.  The Operator Guide (Rev D) on page 47 references the 114 and 115 codes but only identifies the "Symptom" as "Warning system activates the CHECK ENGINE warning".  It does not tell you that you can lose control of your boat as has happened to me. 

I have stopped using my boat because of so many problems with the G2. 

I have tried to get some confidence after several inspections/repairs by running the engine while my boat is still on the trailer at the dock.  I continue to see engine hours change while the engine was off and key was in the on position along with network problems.   I have seen several occurrences in engine reports where the engine loses its system voltage (55V) while running.  I believe the intermittent loss of system voltage is what is causing the network errors (not bad connections as I have had three keyswitches, two sets of cabling and two control boxes installed). I do think that there may be network priority/arbitration problems as well based on the order that the network devices are listed on my engine reports (GPS has a lower base address than the EMM but I think the EMM and Throttle should have the lowest addresses to get arbitration priority if I understand how the network works correctly). If that is the case, a software update can easily fix that part.

I think the intermittent loss/regain of system voltage causes the lower unit to disengage and re-engage which eventually leads to the lower unit failures people have been having.  I have reported engine vibrations that I think is caused by this.  It may be the cause of blown power heads as well. More data needs to be collected to prove/disprove my thoughts. I’m working on collecting that information with a Data Acquisition System I’m developing that can record messages (working on voltages and an accelerometer to measure engine vibrations) and timestamp them with its built in GPS.  I can already display the data on my phone/laptop and don't have to connect any wires to download data (its completely wireless) as long as the boat is in the driveway and within access to my home network.  It can also send email notices.  I have several components working and am working on integrating them into one system.  The Evinrude diagnostics captures some but not all the data I'm looking for.  The system will be isolated from the network so it doesn't interfere with data and won't be impacted by the loss of power when/if that happens.  I still have work to do but things are coming together.  Here is my test program that just increments the data by 1 for each field every message.

CanGPS.jpg

I recommend getting an engine report before you have any repair work done and get another report after any repair work is completed.  I have had my G2 in for repairs about 6 times already. 

What I have also found is that the Evinrude G2 EMM and the components that were bundled in my purchase (Lowrance GPS and Teleflex Throttle/Shift Control) are not Fully NMEA certified (only the VeeThree display is fully MNEA certified).  Click on the link below and type "Evinrude"  in the company field to see that the G2 EMM has a certification of "NA" but to my understanding should be something like "A" or "B". This is assuming your G2 EMM is that part number. My EMM part number is not listed at all. If you get an engine report, you can look at the "Network Devices" section and check to see if what you were sold is fully NMEA certified.

http://www.nmea.org/content/nmea_standards/certified_produ.asp

nmea site.jpg

Captain

"The danger with these network codes if you read my other posts is that you can lose throttle and steering of your boat.  The Operator Guide (Rev D) on page 47 references the 114 and 115 codes but only identifies the "Symptom" as "Warning system activates the CHECK ENGINE warning".  It does not tell you that you can lose control of your boat as has happened to me."

The above quote is simply not accurate.  First, unless there is a loss of hydraulic fluid in the steering system or a mechanical failure, steering is always available regardless of the G2 system condition.  There may be loss of assist but directional control is maintained.

In the event of fault 114 or 115 occuring by itself, the G2 system will maintain throttle/shift controllability due to the fact that the G2 was designed to utilize two independent CAN networks to provide messaging between the helm and engine.  These faults, one at a time, do NOT cause the engine to reduce speed (SAFE) or shut down.  The redundancy provided by the design offers second to none reliability.

If both networks were to lose communication simultaneously, loss to throttle/shift control from the helm would be the result.  If this case, the EMM takes over control of the throttle/shift bringing the vessel to a safe condition such that the operator can investigate/correct the condition which resulted in total network loss.

Regarding the comments regarding loss of system voltage resulting in  "lower unit to disengage and re-engage which eventually leads to the lower unit failures" this is not accurate either.  If system power were to actually fall to zero volts (highly unlikely since power for this net is dual sourced from battery and stator) then there would be no means to power the shift actuator.  The actuator and gearcase would remain in the same state as prior to the system voltage change.  System voltage dropping from the nominal 55V does NOT result in the EMM commanding the shift actuator to change gear states.

Highlighted
Captain

The Evinrude G2 EMM is fully NMEA 2000 certified.  The N/A reported in the level has been deprecated with the most recent certification level and is no longer valid.  There is only one level of certification.