Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

G2 throwing code 115?

I recently bought a new ranger Z520c with a 250hp G2 (serial#05420875). I have 12hrs on it and it's throwing code 115 which is private network communication failure. It threw it at .2 hours, twice at 10 hrs, and once at 12 hours. When the code is thrown it won't let me do anything. I Have to pull the kill switch to kill the engine, then I put the kill switch back on it clears it self and runs great until it happens again. I've had it back at the dealer 3 times and no one seems to know what's causing or a fix to this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Nick
Captain

Re: G2 throwing code 115?

The private network is pretty simple, harness from the engine to the control box. If you needed to fit a extension harness make sure that the plugs have not been damaged-there is a sequence outlined in the installation manual that needs to be used when connecting this harness. If all pins/plugs look OK, subsitute the harness and if you have one the extension.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Ask your dealer to call the Evinrude technical support hotline and they can assist the technician in troubleshooting the problem on your boat.  If you get any resistance or hesitation from the dealer, please call Evinrude After Sales with the engine serial number at 262-884-5993 and tell them of your plight.

As HUEY suggested, chances are it could be a malfunctioning cable or bad connection or loose connection, etc.

Two common areas of concern are if a boat screw or something sharp damaged the cable somewhere from the motor to the controls or if a connector was out of alignment when the connection was made, bending a pin or socket causing an intermittent circuit failure.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Ok thanks guys for the input. I'll pass this on to my dealer. I did have a screw in my NMEA 2K cable, got that replaced hoping that was the problem. First time out after the repair it threw the same code. I've been dealing with this issue since Feb. 6th, it's starting to get alittle aggrovating.
Admiral

I'm sure that Evinrude is not aware that you have had this situation since Feb.  Give After Sales Support a call today with the serial number at 262-884-5993 and tell them the whole story.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Evinrude is aware of my problem, both the dealer and myself have called. We thought the screw in the NEMA cable was the problem. I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday and have them check for a bad pin or plug. They checked for a loose connection the last time I had it down there and they where all tight. If it don't get fixed this time then I'll call back and see what's next.
Captain

I have had the same problem. Very annoying. What did you find wrong. My engine 250 ho G2
Mate

I have the same exact problem and hopefully my authorized dealer is able to fix this issue.

Captain

Captain

Mine did the same. Dealer repaired, loose wire,ground