Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
MSC
Mate

Re: G2 throwing code 115?

Same with me. 2015 ranger with g2 250ho 40 hours. I've been to 2 different dealers for the same issue the motor shuts down to safe mode.. also had over heat code at 160º and again shut down. I was just told the 115 code has nothing to due with shutting down to safe mode and it is always going to throw that code because I have lowerance electronics. They're have replaced sensors, gaskets and reprogrammed the computer. Also dealer keeps it for month at a time they say warranty work takes longer. I'm looking for another dealer if it happens again after a phone call to evinrude.
Admiral

We are sorry to hear of your experience with an Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard.

A 115 service code is a loss of communication of the private (remote control) network, and the information and signals needed are transferred to the public network (NMEA2000) for backup.

[explanation]

EMM detects no communication on the Remote Control network. Check remote control connections, buss cables, hubs and backbone cable.

Very often it could be from both the engine and/or the controls needing updated software that a dealer can provide.

If your dealer is having trouble diagnosing and repairing your engine, they should take advantage of Evinrude's dealer support group for assistance. You can also email the serial number, dealer name, and a history of your motor to  brp.care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Has anyone found out what there fix was with code 115
Admiral

the fix for code 115 is to find and repair the possible bad connection(s) plus install any applicable updates to the software for the controls, engine, and ICON displays (if installed)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

You may want to read this thread:

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/2016-G2-engine-shuts-down/m-p/27310/highlight/true#M88...

I'm still having problems with the G2 200 I bought last year.  The danger with these network codes if you read my other posts is that you can lose throttle and steering of your boat.  The Operator Guide (Rev D) on page 47 references the 114 and 115 codes but only identifies the "Symptom" as "Warning system activates the CHECK ENGINE warning".  It does not tell you that you can lose control of your boat as has happened to me. 

I have stopped using my boat because of so many problems with the G2. 

I have tried to get some confidence after several inspections/repairs by running the engine while my boat is still on the trailer at the dock.  I continue to see engine hours change while the engine was off and key was in the on position along with network problems.   I have seen several occurrences in engine reports where the engine loses its system voltage (55V) while running.  I believe the intermittent loss of system voltage is what is causing the network errors (not bad connections as I have had three keyswitches, two sets of cabling and two control boxes installed). I do think that there may be network priority/arbitration problems as well based on the order that the network devices are listed on my engine reports (GPS has a lower base address than the EMM but I think the EMM and Throttle should have the lowest addresses to get arbitration priority if I understand how the network works correctly). If that is the case, a software update can easily fix that part.

I think the intermittent loss/regain of system voltage causes the lower unit to disengage and re-engage which eventually leads to the lower unit failures people have been having.  I have reported engine vibrations that I think is caused by this.  It may be the cause of blown power heads as well. More data needs to be collected to prove/disprove my thoughts. I’m working on collecting that information with a Data Acquisition System I’m developing that can record messages (working on voltages and an accelerometer to measure engine vibrations) and timestamp them with its built in GPS.  I can already display the data on my phone/laptop and don't have to connect any wires to download data (its completely wireless) as long as the boat is in the driveway and within access to my home network.  It can also send email notices.  I have several components working and am working on integrating them into one system.  The Evinrude diagnostics captures some but not all the data I'm looking for.  The system will be isolated from the network so it doesn't interfere with data and won't be impacted by the loss of power when/if that happens.  I still have work to do but things are coming together.  Here is my test program that just increments the data by 1 for each field every message.

CanGPS.jpg

I recommend getting an engine report before you have any repair work done and get another report after any repair work is completed.  I have had my G2 in for repairs about 6 times already. 

What I have also found is that the Evinrude G2 EMM and the components that were bundled in my purchase (Lowrance GPS and Teleflex Throttle/Shift Control) are not Fully NMEA certified (only the VeeThree display is fully MNEA certified).  Click on the link below and type "Evinrude"  in the company field to see that the G2 EMM has a certification of "NA" but to my understanding should be something like "A" or "B". This is assuming your G2 EMM is that part number. My EMM part number is not listed at all. If you get an engine report, you can look at the "Network Devices" section and check to see if what you were sold is fully NMEA certified.

http://www.nmea.org/content/nmea_standards/certified_produ.asp

nmea site.jpg

Captain

"The danger with these network codes if you read my other posts is that you can lose throttle and steering of your boat.  The Operator Guide (Rev D) on page 47 references the 114 and 115 codes but only identifies the "Symptom" as "Warning system activates the CHECK ENGINE warning".  It does not tell you that you can lose control of your boat as has happened to me."

The above quote is simply not accurate.  First, unless there is a loss of hydraulic fluid in the steering system or a mechanical failure, steering is always available regardless of the G2 system condition.  There may be loss of assist but directional control is maintained.

In the event of fault 114 or 115 occuring by itself, the G2 system will maintain throttle/shift controllability due to the fact that the G2 was designed to utilize two independent CAN networks to provide messaging between the helm and engine.  These faults, one at a time, do NOT cause the engine to reduce speed (SAFE) or shut down.  The redundancy provided by the design offers second to none reliability.

If both networks were to lose communication simultaneously, loss to throttle/shift control from the helm would be the result.  If this case, the EMM takes over control of the throttle/shift bringing the vessel to a safe condition such that the operator can investigate/correct the condition which resulted in total network loss.

Regarding the comments regarding loss of system voltage resulting in  "lower unit to disengage and re-engage which eventually leads to the lower unit failures" this is not accurate either.  If system power were to actually fall to zero volts (highly unlikely since power for this net is dual sourced from battery and stator) then there would be no means to power the shift actuator.  The actuator and gearcase would remain in the same state as prior to the system voltage change.  System voltage dropping from the nominal 55V does NOT result in the EMM commanding the shift actuator to change gear states.

Captain

The Evinrude G2 EMM is fully NMEA 2000 certified.  The N/A reported in the level has been deprecated with the most recent certification level and is no longer valid.  There is only one level of certification.

Captain

Eldersparky wrote: “The above quote is simply not accurate.  First, unless there is a loss of hydraulic fluid in the steering system or a mechanical failure, steering is always available regardless of the G2 system condition.  There may be loss of assist but directional control is maintained.”

The definition of “steering” may need to be clarified. I agree that I can move the steering wheel clockwise and counter clockwise and the engine will move right/left.  However, it is the water flow generated by the prop that makes the boat move in the controlled direction you move the steering wheel to.  The engines can shut down when the 114/115 codes occur or it will go into a state where the engine is running but the lower unit will not engage into forward or reverse.  While you can move the steering wheel, you cannot direct (steer) the boat without the proper water flow generated by the prop because it will not go into gear.  The boat will drift go where ever its momentum (if moving), current and wind take it, whether you want to go in that direction or not.  This has typically happened at low/mid RPMs when I’m approaching or leaving the dock.  The worst time to lose control is when you are approaching a dock, trailer, obstruction or other boaters.  I ended up at an angle on my trailer once and on a separate occasion, ended up going into another much smaller boat with a father and his young son.  All I could do is apologize and say the engine went out.  I don’t think the father believed since I have this brand new G2 engine and he is on a much smaller boat with a very old engine.

Eldersparky wrote: “These faults, one at a time, do NOT cause the engine to reduce speed (SAFE) or shut down.  The redundancy provided by the design offers second to none reliability.”

The 114/115 faults do, in fact, happen at the same time. Even if only one data path fails, there is a false sense of redundancy.  While there are two can data networks (private and public), both networks are powered through the G2 and its rigging.  I had my G2 installed by a Platinum Certified Dealer which BRP says is the “Best of the Best”.  When the G2 or its rigging fails, customers can lose everything on both networks.  The G2 and other items on the network are called “Nodes” from what I have been reading.  I don’t think it is a good practice for a node (e.g. the G2) to be powering the networks.  I think the networks should be powered by redundant (separate) power sources for a truly redundant system.  The G2 and its rigging are a single point of failure to both the Private and Public networks.  I emailed BRP Care last year on 9/28/16 when I realized this and asked for Evinrude support to look into this.  Neither BRP Care or anyone from Evinrude ever got in contact with me about this or other issues.  Here is an excerpt from my email with my request for support regarding the network:

Support from Evinrude to discuss/evaluate current NMEA network power design and possibly modify design to improve reliability and safety.  I have a concern that network power appears to come from the engine.  Should other components be on the network (i.e. GPS/VHF radio) they would be inoperative if there was an engine power issue.  This situation could prevent emergency notifications from functioning properly (e.g. Digital Selective Calling).  This is a potential safety issue.

Eldersparky wrote: If both networks were to lose communication simultaneously, loss to throttle/shift control from the helm would be the result.  If this case, the EMM takes over control of the throttle/shift bringing the vessel to a safe condition such that the operator can investigate/correct the condition which resulted in total network loss.

In referring to my situation where there were no network errors recorded or alarms (BRP said it was a 114/115 problem) the EMM unexpectedly commanded the lower unit into neutral (per Operator’s Guide Rev D page 47) as I was approaching my trailer at the dock. How exactly does the EMM know that it is safer for me and my family to ignore my throttle command to put the lower unit into forward/reverse?  The EMM would rev the engine as I move the throttle in forward/reverse, but would not engage the lower unit even when I put it into neutral and back into reverse to try to regain prop control needed to safely control (steer) the boat in the direction I needed it to go.  I’m the one driving the boat and know I need to turn right/left or go forward/reverse.  The EMM does not.  I ended up on my trailer at an angle and had to get the boat off to get it back on the trailer correctly.  In a spacecraft, a system known as the Fault Detection, Isolation and Recovery System (FDIR - pronounced like fiddler, but without the l) has extensive knowledge of the environment including location and orientation and can react faster than humans (if onboard) to a failure to ensure no functional loss.  With the exception of a single network data path going bad (this is conditioned on the cause not being power related), the EMM does not reliably pass any one of 3 common recovery states relating to this symptom. 

I believe, based on my own experiences that a Failure Modes Effects Analysis, even at just a functional level, would put the G2 in a high risk category in part due its inability to properly detect, control the fault, and provide notification of the fault effectively to the operator/customer. This impacts the G2’s immediate functionality and I believe its long term reliability.  500 hours no service and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to schedule time to take the engine to dealers and my engine is again not functional right now.  I have mentioned in my other posts that having the “Occurred Engine Faults”, “Occurred Faults Log” and “Historical Engine Faults” data readily available to customers would be good.  It would help (partially) reduce the risk level customers face as they would at least be able to see if the EMM did record any errors by requesting the Occurred/Historical fault data over the can network via their displays that currently only show “Active Faults”.  “Active Faults” may not always be seen by a customer as they may only flash on the screen (if it shows up at all), then disappear without being acknowledged (I have seen this happen).  If customers have access to more than just Active Faults, then they can inspect recorded faults as part of the pre boating readiness test (Operator Guide page 69) and be proactive in ensuring there are no faults needing attention.  I think it is reasonable for BRP to make efforts to display all fault data sections on existing displays with software updates to the EMM and displays.  If the G2’s are reliable, then it would be a great way to show customers that there aren’t any faults they need to address before going out on the water.  In addition to that, there is no data for RPMs less than ~1500 in the Engine Report’s “Last 2 Minute History”. Updates to the Engine Report’s “Last 2 Minute History” to include all RPMs would also be helpful in collecting data for analysis (as would expanding the 2 minutes to as much as the EMM can store, perhaps to at least 4 hours would be my suggestion but the current EMM was probably not designed for that.  This could be a potential improvement for the next EMM design). 

Eldersparky wrote: “Regarding the comments regarding loss of system voltage resulting in  "lower unit to disengage and re-engage which eventually leads to the lower unit failures" this is not accurate either.  If system power were to actually fall to zero volts (highly unlikely since power for this net is dual sourced from battery and stator) then there would be no means to power the shift actuator.  The actuator and gearcase would remain in the same state as prior to the system voltage change.  System voltage dropping from the nominal 55V does NOT result in the EMM commanding the shift actuator to change gear states.”

It was mentioned above that “the EMM takes over control of the throttle/shift bringing the vessel to a safe condition such that the operator can investigate/correct the condition which resulted in total network loss.” The Operator’s Guide (page 47) refers to the 114/115 faults and states:

“S.A.F.E. protection mode activated with a continuous indicator, outboard reduces speed to idle and shifts into NEUTRAL.” 

It is clear that the EMM does override the operator’s commanded throttle position and shift the actuator putting the gearcase into neutral. With intermittent power, the EMM appears to restore itself to the normal operation equivalent of page 47 without operator action:

“Reset Networks.  Turn the key switch OFF.  Then restart the engine(s).” 

I believe the excessive number of fault code 19’s (Attempt to start engine is gear) is when the actuator doesn’t completely go all the way into Neutral before the power level is restored enough such that the engine is able to restart itself and keep running (vibrations). At what rate does the EMM command the engine to idle when S.A.F.E. protection mode is activated?  How long does the actuator take to go from forward/reverse to neutral?  How many injector pulses are required to start the engine?

I believe intermittent power can leave the EMM in an erratic state in which its outputs are undeterministic (not predicable). Electronics typically have a minimum voltage and power requirement for nominal operation.  Electronics can still appear to be operating normally at lower than rated voltage/power, but can also be noticeably erratic or not function at all.  I expect having the dog clutch shift from forward/reverse to neutral (and back to forward/reverse) at any RPM above idle can cause either immediate or latent lower unit damage.  I believe there should be more 203 (ESC motor Open Circuit) and 204 (ESC Cannot Achieve Commanded Gear) faults than I have seen reported by the EMM in my engine reports. 

The 114/115 faults take about 0.02 and 0.04 seconds to be detected. Using a mean of 0.03 seconds (please correct me if I’m wrong), I calculate the following at 500 and 6000 RPMs:

Seconds

x

revolutions

x

minute

x

fuel injector pulses

=

fuel injector pulses (about 1/3 revolution)

Network Error

minute

seconds

revolution

network error detected

Seconds

x

revolutions

x

minute

x

fuel injector pulses

=

fuel injector pulses (3 complete revolutions)

Network Error

minute

seconds

revolution

network error detected

I will have to continue this some other time as I’m supporting Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts here in Houston/Galveston. I would have liked to use my boat to assist in rescue efforts, but the G2 doesn’t start due to an Error code 36 – Waiting on Neutral to Start (Throttle lever is within the neutral detents and prop spins indicating it is in neutral).  The EMM is not properly detecting/managing the position of the lower unit and/or communicating with the throttle control.  The dealer that serviced the engine last would not meet with me to discuss the problems and told me to take it somewhere else.  Even if this wasn’t happening, it would have been necessary to raise the lower unit (to avoid obstacles) during periods of rain which would have likely caused water to enter the exhaust port causing damage (Operator Guide page 41).  I don’t believe the G2 is suited for that type of application.

Concerns besides those above that I have include but are not limited to the following:

1. Engine Hours
  2. Non-Compliance with United States Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Chapter 1