Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Help with G2 150 HO

Just bought a new Manitou 21 Tritoon with the performance package. Its rigged with a G2 150 HO with power steering. Dealer has a 18 pitch Rebel on there now. With 3 people and ten gallons of gas we got 42 to 43 mph out of her at 5700 rpms. You could trim quite a bit and didn't blow out. At 4000 rpms with a little trim it was 25 to 26 mph. GPS speed. I looked at the plate on the motor while moving at cruising speeds. With little to no trim I couldn't see the plate. Plenty of spray kicking up.  Its mounted on the lowest hole. Dealer said the plate is even with the bottom of the center toon. If we moved it up one hole it would raise it about 3/4 of an inch I believe.

The steering was very stiff when turning just a little if you didn't have the motor trimmed a lot. I was supposed to have the 3.5 Icon gauge on the dash. But it doesn't fit so they are ordering me the Icon pro series I believe they are called. Its 2 round gauges. I believe they hook up thru NMEA network, whereas the standard gauges I have now don't.

Dealer said the steering Is stiff because the power steering isn't fully working because of no connection to the NMEA network. I was expecting very easy steering and its not that way.

Been told a 19 pitch Viper might give me better speed.

Any help would be nice.

Admiral

Re: Help with G2 150 HO

Your dealer can adjust the steering "feel" using the laptop and diagnostic software if you do not have an Evinrude dash display panel.

Engine height and propping is often trial and error. Raise the motor one or two holes at a time to find the best height. The Evinrude E-TEC G2 can be mounted higher that other engine models. Check it always with a full load and a light load to be sure the height is OK in all situations.

The Viper may not be the best choice for a pontoon boat unless you are strictly looking for top speed only with a very light load. The Rebel or RX4 props might be better suited for your application. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Its so stiff now its very hard to turn at 25 mph with the motor trimmed. My 150 Yamaha turned much easier with hyrd steering. I have heard the power steering should be very easy to turn.  I guess it set at the lowest setting from the factory. Well what its set on now is useless. I have the basic gauges now. I was suppose to have the 3.5 screen but it doesnt fit. The only option seems to be the Icon pro round gauges but I dont think I can adjust it with those gauges.

Admiral

If the steering is as stiff as you say, then there is a problem such as a kinked line, restriction, or binding somewhere. Your steering should feel similar to your car's power steering. It is possible that your power assist is not operating correctly. Contact your dealer as this is not right and could lead to an unsafe situation.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Update on whats going on. Dealer checked for updates. Everything is updated. Dealer tested power to the DPS. Has power going but none coming from DPS. So they are calling evinrude Weds morning and hopefully getting one over nighted for Thursday.

Skipper

Update as of July 14. Don't quote me on the words used in this description. But the dealer put a new power steering pump and ecu or ecm? That's now working fine. Except its getting to hot. Its water cooled. Evinrude said check the lower unit to make sure everything is good down there so everything is getting cooled right. Dealer said it looked like a line down there was pinched off. He was sending pics to Erude on Friday before he did anything else. Seems like everything has to be approved before he can do anything else. I believe the ecu or ecm and PS pump was fried because it got hot. I'm just kinda putting everything they told me together. Some might not be exactly correct.

But its 3 weeks now and still no boat back. This was a brand new motor on a new boat. Seems like Erude is dragging their feet some. The dealer has done everything Erude has ask them to do.

Skipper

Update as of today. Dealer last week asked for a midsection to fix the problem. Rude wanted to try something else in the lower unit. I believe a pump. Well the pump works now but still everything isn't correct. So now they are sending a midsection and other parts to fix the problem.

The mechanic has been on this problem the whole time. He has asked for the parts he needs and the Rude tech wants to try different things. This has been a disaster getting these parts on a brand new motor. Missed 3 weeks of boating. The dealer said she hasn't had any problems what so ever with the G2's she has sold.

Called Rude to today with my case #. Lady said a tech would call me back. No call back.

Admiral

Send an email with the serial number, dealer name, and a short history of the engine to   brp.care@brp.com

Skipper

Finally got the boat back and ran it Saturday. Had 3 people, 35 gallons of fuel and the normal stuff. They changed out the prop to a Viper 19 pitch. Did have a 18 pitch Rebel. The Viper prop has a different sound and the motor sounds a little louder, than the Rebel prop.

The Rebel prop got me 39 WOT at 5300 rpms or so with a lot of trim with the same load. The Viper was 41 WOT at 5650  with around 25 percent trim. Anything over 30 percent trim she was losing speed and starting to blow out.

Midrange was about the same with the Rebel maybe 1 mph faster or so. I think that's because it could really use a 17 pitch to get my rpms up at WOT.

Motor mounted on lowest hole. Didn't get to try  the Rebel at high speed turns to see if she lost grip or blew out. The cav plate was low enough I don't think it would have. I think it could come up one hole and still be fine. Didn't have the power steering working at the time to try it.

The Viper in high speeds turns didn't blow out or lose traction. Just wondering if its the right prop since I can only trim up about 30 percent before she blows out. Motor is low as it can go.

The Rebel has plenty of trim before it lost speed. Actually to much trim.

Kinda torn on what prop and pitch to use.

The power steering works great now. Was a dream to drive.

Thanks for the help on here.

Anybody with suggestions on props? I know Yamaha really well. This my first Rude.fuel 2.jpg

Skipper

WOTfuel 5.jpg