Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

I'll never own another Evinrude!

March of 2010 I bought a brand new Etec 25hp motor. A few months after owning it I took it on a fishing trip 200 miles from home. Got there only to find that the defective oil resevoir had leaked oil all over the inside of the cowling. It was replaced under warranty. July of 2015 I took it out on the river and it ran for a short period of time before dying and wouldn't restart. Took it in for diagnosis and was told it was the high pressure fuel pump. The engine hours at this time were 16:30 and the 5 year warranty had just ran out.

Took it out yesterday and it ran perfect for about 5 minutes when it bogged down, sputtered then quit and wouldn't restart. Thankfully I was able to use my trolling motor, starting battery and jump start pack to make it back to the ramp. Put the motor in a barrel of water just a short bit ago and it idled like a purring kitten for 11 minutes before it sputtered and died and won't restart. Now it will be 2-3 weeks before a dealer can diagnose this issue. An engine with less than 25 hours on it and nothing but problems. Sadly, I'm trading it for anything other than another Evinrude product.

Skipper

Re: I'll never own another Evinrude!

I second this motion 

Skipper

Sounds to me like your main problem is lack of use. 25 hrs since 2010 is very low thus creating problems with fuel freshness and 2-300 hr maintenance intervals.

Captain

Lack uf use can cause a lot of problems.I always run my engines every 2 to 3 weeks if I am not using my boat.Sorry to hear about your problems.

Captain

As correctly pointed out the problem you are facing today is the lack of use and the fact that the fuel has sat inside the engines fuel system and gone off casuing running problems. It really will not be a hard fix if the dealer removes the fuel ssytem and gives it a good clean and this scernerio will happen with any engine, clean or dirty if fuel is left to "turn" inside the engine's fuel system. Best of luck with your next engine and a word of advise use it more often or at least start on the flusher and let it run for a period of time every month or so, otherwise you will be in the same place you are today.

Captain

I agree. I have a 1983 Evinrude 10 hp and it sits a lot but I am sure that if I hook it up and put FRESH gas in it will start and run longer than 11 minutes. I never let gas sit in my motor, run it dry. Take carb off let soak in carb cleaner over night then flush out and reinstall and you might be surprised.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you are having problems with your Evinrude outboard. As the others have said here, with only 25 hours on your motor in 7 years means there was a lot of time for the gas left inside of the engine to decompose and affect the pump and other fuel related engine parts. Even if a fuel stabilizer was used and it was circulated through the engine before storage, it only lasts at the most for 2 years.

If you had a different brand of motor, chances are the stale fuel problems would have caused much more grief and expense. It does not matter if it were fuel injected or carbureted, varnish deposits and corrosion damage any type of fuel system.

From your description, I assume that the motor ran well for you during the 5 years from 2010 to 2015. 

Being 7 years old at the moment, has the motor been completely serviced as required every 3 years by the factory as explained in the operators guide?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

you are not alone brother

Skipper

Me either!  Worste experience of my 30 plus years on the water.  I should have listened to all of my buddies.

Captain

Dealers have service deptments you know why ?things can happen with mechinical objects.Ive been in every mfg,s service depts and all have motors that are problematic.Ive yet to see a service dept emptie and yet to see or find a perfect zero issue motor .I wonder if the guy with the brand new 250 yamaha last year that blew into a dozen pieces was happy?Bet my friend whose merc 4 stroke grenaded in a week wasnt to pleased with mercy products either.Up north from me in ontario canada more and more small etecs are being sold (15-60) and so far ive yet to meet a ticked off owner though im sure theres one out there.I totally understand being bummed out i would be also but that goes for any make if it buggered up.I used both a 40 and 50 new yamaha and though i liked them i love my 60 etec.Its just as fuel eff,just as quite,superior in emmissions and starts way faster and smoother.Buy what makes you happy but i will never be convinced that their any better or worse for that matter.