Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: I'll never own another Evinrude!

[ Edited ]

I don't leave the same gas in the can for years on end, I use fresh gas with the manufacturer recommended Evinrude 2+4 fuel conditioner. Evinrude states that this in only one of 2 additives approved for use in the engine. According to the 2+4 label it will protect for up to 1 year. Again, I don't leave the same fuel in the engine for anywhere near that length of time. Just because I don't put 100 hours on it a year doesn't mean fresh fuel isn't ran through the engine.
And yes, the 3 year service was last performed in August of 2015. 
BRP claims this for the Etec as well "Sealed fuel system: Air can’t get in. Fuel won’t evaporate. No more gummed-up fuel systems. Your engine is well protected during storage." Sure doesn't seem too true to me.

Captain

Lackof use kills more outboards then any other issue. You can complain all you want but the issue is misuse by non use. Any combustion engine that was ony used for 25 hours in 7 years is going to have issues. Amplified by ethanol and other fuel additives in todays fuel. Stabilizers are good for about a year. which means you have to use all that fuel in a year and have fresh stabilized fuel in the engine components every season. Add to that the water environment outboards are used in, you have horiible condesation issues and bad gas in the tank. trying to run a motor on bad fuel causes a lot of damage. 

Skipper

The dealer called the other day and said my boat was ready for pickup and that the problem was once again the VST that they had replaced less than 2 years ago. They also said that there was no charge because it was covered under warranty. Really? Wonder what warranty that is? Seems that Evinrude knows there is a problem with their fuel systems on these motors. The dealer recommended the use of Stabil Marine which is "Not" covered as an approved additive according to the owners manual. He didn't know what to say when I told him that I used Evinrudes 2+4 conditioner and it clearly states that the fuel will be treated for up to 1 year. Evidently that crap don't work for even a few months I guess.
Again, I don't use "old" fuel. It has a portable gas tank that I refill with "new" fuel whenever I'm going to run the motor. I empty the tank and use it in my mower, weed eater, blower or atv which neither has ever had a fuel related problem. I guess we'll see how long it runs this time. Hopefully long enough for me to trade it in for a different brand.

Admiral

catfish307 wrote:

The dealer called the other day and said my boat was ready for pickup and that the problem was once again the VST that they had replaced less than 2 years ago. They also said that there was no charge because it was covered under warranty. Really? Wonder what warranty that was?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evinrude may have given you a "GOOD WILL" consideration, possibly due to the low hours. They have great customer service.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.