Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
skeetereaten

Idle problem with 1992 200 HP Evinrude XP

When at Idle or when put in gear to take off motor pops and dies. But it starts right back up. I f you rev it up and when it starts to idle back down throw it into gear it will go ahead and take off. When idleing in to put on the trailer it will die also. And I also noticed when running full throtle you can feel it kinda cutting out just a little bit. Our outboard shops around here are not to good about fixing problems. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Idle problem with 1992 200 HP Evinrude XP

An initial guess would be a combination of linkage and throttle synchronization plus carburetor problems and/or adjustments causing the lean "pop" at idle. Usually there are more than one item that causes poor running as all the outboard's system have to work in unison. Check compression, make sure both cylinderheads are warming up per specs, adjust sync and link, have the recirculation system inspected and cleaned if needed, same with the carbs. On that old a motor a good decarbonizing using Engine Tuner per the instructions would be a good idea. It may even have to be repeated depending on how long it has been decarboned before. Make sure the motor is propped correctly - around 5800 rpm with an average load is ideal, and between 5600 and 6000 is OK.

If this is beyond your capabilities (do not even attempt without a factory service manual) work with your local dealer to get the engine running correctly.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
skeetereaten

Re: Idle problem with 1992 200 HP Evinrude XP

Thank you so much for the response. I will try to find a good mechanic to look at it. I just bought the boat and the motor has not been ran in about 2 years.

Please use plain text.