Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Johnson 6 missing ID placard - help identify

Just bought a boat and finally got home and unloaded it. Checking model numbers to start sourcing parts and my Johnson is MISSING its ID plate - the engine cover says 200 VRO (which I assumed it is) but without it's ID plate, how do I know???

Is definitely a 6 cylinder and my 1983 Wellcraft V-20 was optioned with the 200 VRO so I assumed (for the <ahem> modest purchase price) the motor is original.

I also popped open the cover and looked inside but outside of a few parts with embossed (part?) numbers on them (like the heads), I don't see anything resembling a model / serial number.

Am I screwed? Thanks!!

Admiral

Re: Johnson 6 missing ID placard - help identify

[ Edited ]

If the motor cover decals are original, take photos of the sides and back.  Take well lit and focused pictures of each side of the powerhead, the top, and the back of the motor also. Take ones with the sides of the whole motor visible.

Look on the powerhead for about a 1" diameter disk with numbers stamped on it and take a good photo of it or post the numbers and any letters.

What connects the wiring from the boat to the motor? Is it a round red plug or 3 plastic connectors? That narrows the motor down to 1995 and older (red plug) or 1996 and newer ( 3 connectors).

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

image20170821_180249066.jpg

image20170821_180208342.jpgimage20170821_180159588.jpgimage20170821_180343736.jpgimage20170821_180228163.jpg

Highlighted
Skipper

Sorry for the second reply but I'm using firefox and when I uploaded the photos, it didn't leave me any room to type.

SInce I posted my OP I have learned a few things:

#1 The VRO has been bypassed and the previous owner was premixing - I don't know who did the bypass but it was probably done before they bought it

#2. The CDI power pack part number (113-4037) indicates it's year is 1989-1992

I'm pulling the air box off right now to check the throttle butterfly screws - I read that 2 screws = 200 and 3 screws = 225

Admiral

Your motor appears to be a 1989 200 HP - model J200TXCE 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

OMG, thank you!!!! is that what those numbers on that disk meant?

Admiral

That is the serial number of the engine