Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

I'm sure Evinrude will do right by you they stand behind there products. I have run Evinrude for years with very few small problems. Good Luck and sorry to hear about your issues.

Capt. Pat Harrison
Admiral

[ Edited ]

canuck wrote:

I bought a  2013 150 HP ETEC motor.  I am using it on a 19ft. Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin boat that originally had 1989 Johnston 150hp.  I have had excellent performance and amazing gas mileage, nothing but good things to say about this motor until this summer when the check engine light came on. I took it to the mechanic and found we had bad fuel and damaged the injectors.  For some reason this is not covered by the five year warranty.  

Canuck,

We are very sorry to hear about your problems due to bad gasoline in your gas tank that got into the engine. Did you have a recomended fuel-water separator in your boat?

Whether it is an automobile, and outboard motor, or a lawn tractor, no manufacturer's warranty will cover contaminated fuel that gets into the engine as that is something that they have no way of preventing. Can you contact the gas station or the marina that sold you the bad fuel?

Check with your insurance agent as sometimes situations out of your control could be covered.  If not, contact Evinrude After Sales Support at 262-884-5993 with the serial number or ask your dealer to call  Evinrude Dealer Support to see if some assistance could be offered.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

I have a 2006 150 etec with about 300 hrs on it. Had health issues to where i couldnt run it for 2 years. I did start it up every once in a while to keep every thing lubed. This year i got on the water for the first time and everything was perfect. The 4th time out it started to make a tapping sound coming from the power head i think. Sounds like lifters in a car when they start sticking. Can anyone tell me what it could be. I'm praying it's not the power head getting ready to blow up like so many have had happen. Help please!

Highlighted
Admiral

Unfortunately we are unable to diagnose a tapping sound online. We suggest that you see an authorized Evinrude dealer for diagnosis.  It is recommended that you not use the engine until it has been examined by a technician to avoid possible additional problems.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

I'm bringing it into dealer today. I guess my question is will they stand by this motor since it has so little hours on it? I was told by the dealer that the problems evinrude were having with the upper end of the motors were not with the 150 but now i see that they do. Is there any way to find out if that problem was fixed before i bought mine. My dealer said mine was built after they fixed the problem of the upper ends blowing up. Maybe i'm jumping the gun here but we are talking 15,000 for another motor so i am freaking out about this.

Admiral

What is the serial number of your motor and when did you purchase it?

Skipper

engine model-E150dplsu

serial # 5149648

purchased 4/1/2006

I had a extended warranty that ran out in 2013 but as i said, i couldnt use motor for 2 years beause of health problems.

Skipper

Morning Bill,

This maybe my last post for a while, finally received the RX4-20-15 prop, as I stated in an earlier post I may have to eat some crow regarding my thoughts about the proper prop for my boat, almost everyone stated I was over-propped in the beginning, I did not believe it for various reasons however with this new  prop the boat in my opinion is now near perfect for what I do.

WOT RPM = 56 - 5800

WOT MPH = 58.4 (GPS)

To Plane in approx. 3-4 sec.

Boat = Stratos 486 SF (Approx. 1,750 Lbs.)

Load = Light (300-500 Lbs.), 2 people, fuel, batteries & gear stratos boat june22 2014  pic4.jpgstratos boat june22 2014 pic 2.jpg

Admiral

[ Edited ]
T-Cat2002 wrote:

Morning Bill,

This maybe my last post for a while, finally received the RX4-20-15 prop

I did not believe it for various reasons however with this new  prop the boat in my opinion is now near perfect for what I do.

WOT RPM = 56 - 5800

WOT MPH = 58.4 (GPS)

Hey T-CAT2002,

This may be your last post for a while, but please don't abandon us here at E-NATION.  Your experiences are invaluable to others who may have had similar questions and situations and now you can provide first hand input to assist them.

We are glad to hear that everything is working well for your rig. Enjoy the remainder of the season.

Skipper

hey bluewaterbill,havent heard from you since I gave you the numbers