Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

It was the LOW OIL light and it never came on again.  Maybe it was a sticky switch.

Now for the bad news.  I took the engine to the ocean today and it ran perfectly for two hours of

drifting/bottom fishing along the shore, no more than a mile out and inside the bay.  When I

decided to go home and I accellerated, the engine hesitated and then died!  No diagnostic lights,

just dead!  It refused to start.  I threw the anchor overboard, in about 40 ft of water, checked the

fuel hand pump and it was full.  I called my insurance to initiate  a towing.  About 20 min later I

was able to re-start the engine and it brought me close to shore  at about 1,100rpm - I did not

dare try to make it go faster.  Once inside the channel, more than one hour later, it died again

and a good samaritan towed me close  to the dock.  The engine then started again and I was

able to park the boat to the dock safely, at low speed.

The problem is an exact duplicate of the last one: The high pressure fuel pump, the brand new

one just put in, is likely dead again.

Can I ever trust this engine again?  Maybe I should put back my dear old 115HP, 1996 Johnson

on the boat?

I am waiting to hear from the Maui dealer again.

Very disappointed, Tony.

Admiral

Tony,

We are so sorry to hear that the motor acted up on you after running so well for a while. That has to be both aggravating and exasperating.  

Please inform brp.care@brp.com of your recent situation and communicate with your contact at BRP Evinrude on Monday.  

Out of curiosity, how did you determine that the electric fuel pump was faulty? Does it run but not produce pressure, did it short out, is there an open circuit, or did it lock up internally? 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I don't have a definite answer and I will not have one until the diagnostic program is used.

However, the engine is behaving exactly as it did before the replacement of the fuel pump.

It runs perfectly on the trailer, it loses power on the water and no engine lights come on, it

runs for a while and then dies, it does not overheat or show signs of low oil, etc.

I suspect the problem was either not properly fixed or the new fuel pump was defective.

Aloha.

Mate

I Feel The same Way
I Have Had nothing but Prolbems since day one 300HP
Skipper

I dont have a dealer around to work on my 30 hp E-tec all my dealers jusr say take it somewhere 

else we dont work on them we just sell them if there a proble we dont have a technician to work on it 

so i guss it won't  be long i will just get a Mercry since they will work it if something happendes to the motor i been 

to 5 dealers now and they say the same thing to me sorry we Dont work on them  and where i got the motor they layoff the technican that work there 

Admiral

Hello Bryan,

That is amazing to hear about what your dealer said. To be an authorized dealer there has to be service and parts available to their customers.

Please email your engine serial number, dealer name, and a history of your motor to  brp.care@brp.com . They will investigate.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

They dont have parts or service to work on them 

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

Long post coming but I purcahsed a new Alumacraft Tropy 195 with a new ETEC G2 200HO this spring and I must say it has completely ruined my boating summer.  I hope I now have it at a dealer who is willing to help but as of yet the problems have yet to be resolved.

Here is the history

Model - 200XH

SN - 05421277

Boat and motor were purchased new in Prince Albert SK in the Spring of 2017.

1 - First trip to the lake resulted in a boat launch where the motor started and seemed to run fine for 10-15 minutes.  Trip across the lake at no more than 3500 RPM as it was brand new to me.  Stopped to try some fishing with the family and 15 minutes later the engine would not start.  Did not show any lights.  It would crank but not start or even fire.  Had to use the bow mount electric to get me off the lake.  Report from dealer showed necessary electronic (computer) updates that were not completed prior to delivery.

2 - Second trip to different river system.  Launched boat ran for 5-10 minutes this time showed a check engine light.  Was able to restart the first time as I was on a river and being pulled down stream.  2nd time the engine shut off with no light and once again would crank but not start.  Luckily had a friend catch us and pull us back to the dock..  Report from dealer found that the 3 spark plugs on the starboard bank were all damaged.  In fact on one plug the groud strap was bent right over touching the electrode.  I'm sure it would not have sparked.  Report from dealer this time stated that they nor evinrude had a reason for the damaged plugs other than they were damaged during assembly.  Installed and indexed new plugs and this time there was a low fuel to VST error as well.  Apparently there was some recall reagrding the fuel system on this engine that had been done before delivery but was done again as a precaution.  Sent me on my way.

3 - 3rd trip to the lake.  This time boat was running better probably got 3-4 hours on it this weekend but with no apparent cause the check engine light would flash and the engine would go into a reduced power mode.  Stopping and restarting the engine would clear the error light and the boat would appear to run fine but sometimes only for 30 seconds or sometime for 30 minutes.  Dealer report this time showed same fuel related error.  Evinrude tech support had no answer - vacuum tests were performed on the boats fuel system which all showed OK and in the end they removed some sort of charcoal filter that was somewhere on the vapor return line to thank tank.  (honestly not too sure).  Sent me on my way.

4- 4th trip to the lake.  Very similar to the last outing.  Probably got another 3-4 hours on the boat / engine but did notice some rough running which was soon followed with a check engine light and limp mode.  Stopping and restarting always got me going but there was still obviously an issude.  Also on this trip I should note that the boat was delived to me with a 21" rebel prop.  Despite the dealer having lake tested it and assuring me it was the right prop for the boat I could only get 5100 RPM on top end.  Questioned them on the phone and they claimed I would gain RPM after breakin despite all adverstising stating that there was no breakin period.  After my 3rd tip to the lake I purchased a new 18" RX4 and tested it this weekend as I was not satisfied with the RPM gain after breakin answer and I saw the same 5100 RPM top end which was surprising after dropping 3" of pitch.  All tests performed with only me in the boat and appx .5 tank of fuel.  Possibly leading me to believe that it might well be fuel related problems as in starving for fuel and not opening up as this combo was sold to me as a 55 MPH package and I've never saw more than 5100 RPM and 50MPH. 

At this point my patience was very thin and I brought the boat to a second dealer in North Battleford SK.  This time to my surprise the dealer reported a critical low oil alarm even though at NO TIME DID I EVER see anything but a check engine light even though there is both a low oil and no oil light which function test every startup.  At this point the dealer provided me with a printout of all the errors on the boat and printout stating that current hours on the boat were just shy of 14 hours.  Run time made sense considering the 8-10 hours I had logged and the several hours spent running and the dealer.  The reason I bring up the hours is that my bill of sale clearly states that the engine was delivered to my full of oil and now at 14 hours was apparently out.  I should note that the oil tank was brought to full by adding exactly 5.5 litres of oil and that when reading the error report it had also logged a low oil error at 7 hours and at no time was any oil added but magically went away.  Weird.  Also on this visit I had high hopes as evinrude did send an area rep to look at my unit and between him and the dealer they found some "plugs" (part of the cooling system) that were not installed as part of the PDI process that were supposed to negatively effect overall performance.  At this point they sent me on my way with the installation of these plugs and the addition of oil despite seeing that during the last outing there was still fuel related errors that were logged only 15 minutes before the "phantom" oil error.  They did perform a lake test.  I should also state that despite repeated attempts at communication Evinrude will not discuss this with me and only my dealer which I think is a very poor show of good faith especially considering that they bothered coming all this way and quite obviosuly have a disgruntled customer and a repeatedly malfunctioning piece of equipment.  Once again i was sent away.

5 - 5th trip to the lake.  Not surprising that once again the boat showed a check engine light and reduced power.  Back to the dealer to see the same fuel related error - low fuel to the VST - I believe (repeatable from the last three visists).  Waiting on word now although I think the new dealer is now suggesting replacing the EMM.

So to sum up - 5 trips to the water, 5 trips to the dealer.  NOT ONCE have I had this thing on the water without a problem.  Evinrude still refuses to give me any extra information.  I have repeatedly called consumer support with my onging case number - 949133 - in hopes that someone with more information will contact me but all to no avail.  Now - I'll be the first to admit that I have been disgruntled at times but I think I had the right.  Now, however, I'm so beat down by the whole situation that I'm ready to trade it in.

Is it to much to ask for a simple motor swap?  Even for some small amount of communication and reassurance?

Phone number is 306-821-273

Thanks for listening to my story - thoughts and input are appreciated.

Captain

A positive message.

I was finally able to run the software on my 90hp and it showed nothing wrong.

That is, the fuel pump replaced under warranty and was sworking just fine.

I decided to take apart the fuel filter and replace all the stainless steel bands

around my fuel lines.  It turned out my gasoline was seriously compromised!

I don't know what happened at the shop where the fuel pump was replaced, but

maybe, somehow water got into my fuel tank because the boat was left uncovered.

Anyway, I emptied the fuel filter, replaced the fuel, etc. and the engine is back to

normal.  I took the boat to the ocean and it behaved impeccably.  I hope it lasts!

Aloha, Tony.

Admiral

Alberta_ETEC wrote:

Hello All,

Long post coming but I purcahsed a new Alumacraft Tropy 195 with a new ETEC G2 200HO this spring and I must say it has completely ruined my boating summer.  I hope I now have it at a dealer who is willing to help but as of yet the problems have yet to be resolved.

Here is the history

Model - 200XH

SN - 05421277 

Phone number is 306-821-273

Thanks for listening to my story - thoughts and input are appreciated.

Wow, that is quite an aggravating way to start out with a new engine. Please accept our apologies for the frustration that it has caused you and the inconvenience too.

Please email your story to brp.care@brp.com and include the serial numbers and dealers' names along with your contact information.