Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

I have a 2016 300HP e-tec, not G2. First year the air silencer had to be replaced under warranty.  My second summer the motor blew. Evinrude replaced the block, 1 fuel injector and 1 read valve under warranty. The motor now shakes at 950 to 1500 RPM causing the whole boat to vibrate/shake .  The dealer said that all motors have a spot which they shake. Evinrude after sales said whatever the dealer says is true. My boat never shook before the engine blew, it doesnt make sense that it would shake after.

I will also add I would never have purchased a motor knowing that it would shake the whole boat. Evinrude doesn't advertise that there motors are suppose to shake.

My question is to all Evinrude owners with 300 HP, does your motor shake at a certain RPM causing your whole boat to vibrate/shake?

Mate

I have an e-tec 225 and my engine went out at 380 hours.   The mechanic said the injector stopped dumping fuel in the #2 cylinder and destroyed the motor.

Fuel injector issues are the reason these motors go bad and they offered me no support.   They actually hung up the phone on me.

Don't by    Evinrude!!!

Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your engine problems. Is the engine within warranty coverage? What is the model and serial number?

You can email the engine serial number, dealer name, and a brief engine history to  brp.care@brp.com and they will look into your situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have not posted for some time. This post is to inform all E-TEC engine owners that have had problems like mine:

Engine runs great, then it dies when going to low speed and must wait 10-20 min before it restarts.

I concluded the last time it was contaminated gasoline that caused the problem, but that is not the case.

The problem has happened a few more times and I think I have finally solved it.

The ROUND SCREW in the MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP keeps getting loose!!

I have owned Johnson/Evinrude motors for the past 40 years, either as main engine or kicker,

I have never seen this problem, and none of the experts even checked or suggested checking the screw!

The loose screw causes air to be sucked into the pump and that kills the engine.  After the engine rests

a few minutes the pump cools and the vacuum goes away, until the next time when I slow down.

I replaced everything regarding the fuel supply and all the experts suggested everything imaginable,

but the problem was a simple loose screw!

I bet some engineer decided to save a couple of dollars by either replacing the metal composition of the

darn screw or by not adding a little lock tite to the screw.

Aloha.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

which screw are you talking about?  The short center screw? If so, it may be a good idea to replace both orings on it plus check the cap for distortion, or just replace it for good measure. 

The fuel pump sucking air could have been quickly and easily found using a fuel pressure gauge which is one of the initial troubleshooting procedures if there is a driveability issue.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Input requested on 2012 300 HP Etec.  Looking at one of these on a boat.  Are there common issues I should be aware of?  Is there a level predictability of these problems that an Etec tech can replace components to increase reliability?

BTW:  I had a 2000, 200HP Evinrude Ficht.  I purchased this right before/during (early 2001) the the purchased of Evinrude by BRP.  My engine burned a piston with low hours.  My understanding of the problem was that the computer significantly advance the timing.  That being said Evinrude covered the repair (new powerhead) and Bry's Marine (Neptune NJ) did the repairs.  All went surprizing smoothly especially considering the timing with the company transaction.  I ran that motor for 12 yrs before I sold it.  It is still going.  I have nothing but good things to say about Evinrude and Bry's.  If I purchase this boat and 300 Etec, the first stop will be Bry's for them to go through it.

Highlighted
Captain

The only common issue that comes to mind is that the Pressure Relief Valve may need to be changed. As with any fuel injected engine problems can occur if they have dirty or wet fuel and don't get used much. You dealer can test the fuel system and injectors.
I service a couple of 300"s with over 800 hours of saltwater use with very few issues.
Mate

Geffrow31 

Mate

8:03 AM

Yea I just Bought a new E Tech 150 a little over a month ago after only having it 3 weeks and taking it out a few times it already broke down I'm highly disappointed I have spent around 60.000 in two years on brp products but if this is not resolved i will be done with them... dealer is saying air in oil injection system i never even let the reservoir get below 1/4. tank... Just seems to me like there should be some kind of compensation this is ridiculous spend 40 k I
On a boat to sit at the dealer ..... it's already been in the shop 2 weeks ... now there saying trace amounts of water in fuel to...

Captain

It just happened again.  I did not take the boat out for one month and it died again.

The problem was again the round screw in the middle of the mechanical fuel pump.

It is the middle screw that holds the cover against the body.  The last time I made it

so tight I was afraid I would break it.  I tightened it agan and the engine ran fine.

I have tried more than once to contact the Maui dealer and he has not replied.

This is a warranty issue and I would like the pump replaced.  Thank you.

Aloha, Tony.

Captain

I continue to have problems with the fuel pump and with getting any kind of contact for a dealer to take care of the issues.  I barely made it back to shore again today.  The mechanical fuel pump (part number 5005462) is definitely a problem and the Maui dealer seems to have disappreared.  I cannot trust that engine anymore.  I need someone to take responsibility!!!

Aloha, Tony.