Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

I have never been so dissapointed in a product as with my E-TEC 150 HP Engine.   I saw all the advertisements on this engine and i was hooked.  I saved for a brand new E-tec.  Yes I use my boat alot  Bui in the 6 years of owning this piece of junk.  I had a blown power head,   5, yes five injectors replaced,  a starter replaced,  water in  the lower unit  and now I was just towed in again yeterday, my EMM ( engine control module ) was smoking!!!!  Yes Evinrude has warranteed most of my repairs but I didn't buy a brand new engine to spend my weekends trailering back to the dealer.   I will be towing boat to dealer next week and will repost how I was treated.   This LEMON of an engine should have been replaced.   Stand behind your products.

Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We are really sorry to hear about your experiences with your outboard. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Please call Evinrude After Sales Support with the engine model and serial number and explain your situation. Evinrude takes all customer comments seriously. During regular business hours call 262-884-5993.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Bluewater Bill, thank you for responding, and posting the phone number. I do see that exhaust goes to EMM so maybe that's where smoke issue is coming from.  Reguardless how ever, I still had to be towed in, engine will not run and blows main fuse when you try and start it!   I am just so fustrated with this engine, since the reason I bought it was to habe many trouble free enjoytable years on the water.   I will first see what my dealer has to say, when I tow it there.  Then I can see what the problem is.  Then I will contact Evinrude.  Thanks

Mate

[ Edited ]

Well I must say EVINRUDE stood behind their product, even though I was out of warranty, they contacted me directly when they saw my posts.   My engine was repaired at NO CHARGE to me,  They put a new EMM and INJECTOR.  Was installed expertly by BRY'S Marine in Neptune NJ.   Today I took boat out and it ran great!   Thank you Evinrude for doing the right thing!!  And standing behind your product!!

Admiral

We are happy to hear that everything turned out well for you.

Evinrude customer service is unsurpassed in the outboard motor industry

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I just experienced this same problem over the weekend while pre-fishing for a bass tournament. Needless to say my warranty ran out in March, i know of 3 times i have missed tournaments or pre-fish time because of engine issues with my e-tec. The first was the cpc (crankshaft postion sensor) and the 2nd was another sensor that kept making my engine shut down. This is by far the biggest issue. Trolled 6 mile back to my truck, took to the dealer and then the bad news came. They orignally quoted me a price of $1,500.00 just for the emm!!!!  After begging and pleading with my dealer he called BRP and they said they would cover half the expense of the emm, $800.00 is still a lot of money to spend on a $16,000,00 engine with less than 300 hours on it. I'm grateful for the fact that are helping some, but with travel expense, missing work, non-refundable tournament fee i'll still be out $1,500.00 +

Skipper

I have the same problem.Just bought new 2014 25 hp e-tec .first day out and had some kind of injector problem,took back to dealer .Got it back took it out on the 4th of july died on me on the river in between two bridges on back of motor hit the pier of the one bridge and scatched the cover all to hell. So I HAVE TOO TAKE BACK TO DEALER AGIAN.should be more time at the dealer.Not too happy with this engine at all.That's why a person buys a new engine ,is to get away from all of these issues.

Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your experiences with the Evinrude 25. Most of the time when the motor dies after running a short while, it is some type of fuel delivery problem.

Please after you take the motor to your dealer, call Evinrude Aftersales and discuss the situation with them as they can assist the dealer in taking care of the problem. Have the engine serial number with you and call 262-884-5993.

Skipper

Thanks for the info,I will call the after sales and let them know .I hope this is just a simple problem to fix.This is my fifth e-tec that I have owned.This is the only one that has given me problems.I have a 2013 50hp e-tec that has had no problems at all.This 25 hp when it is running has a sensor  fault light on the EMM.I will take it to dealer tommorow.

Skipper

Picked up motor from Dealer for the second time.Put in the water Got not even a quater mile from the boat ramp and engine dIed again.Pulled and pulled and won't start.Third time back too Dealer.This is a new motor that i just paid $4000.00 thousand Dollars for and is totally unusable.I have tried three times to use it and have been stranded with It.what are the Lemon laws about boat motors.This motor is going BYE,BYE.