Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

TonyAloha wrote:

A positive message.

I was finally able to run the software on my 90hp and it showed nothing wrong.

That is, the fuel pump replaced under warranty and was sworking just fine.

I decided to take apart the fuel filter and replace all the stainless steel bands

around my fuel lines.  It turned out my gasoline was seriously compromised!

I don't know what happened at the shop where the fuel pump was replaced, but

maybe, somehow water got into my fuel tank because the boat was left uncovered.

Anyway, I emptied the fuel filter, replaced the fuel, etc. and the engine is back to

normal.  I took the boat to the ocean and it behaved impeccably.  I hope it lasts!

Aloha, Tony.

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry to hear that it was water in your fuel, but glad that you found it and that the motor is running as it should.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Done - thanks for the input.  I sincerely hope someone gets back to me.  I had neglected the exact dealer names on purpose as I wasn't trying to start anyting negative althougth now it does seem glaringly obvious that the training and skill required to work on these things is severely lacking in parts of Evinrude's dealer network.  Ive included then in my email and as stated above the second dealer does seem willing to help but is really being held up by Evinrude's (perceived) ineptitude.

I have been a long time supported of BRP - current owner of a side X side and snowmobiles and previous owner of ATV's but my support is quickly dwindling.

Thanks, ADAM

Skipper

It was wishful thinking on my part to believe that my problem was solved after the fuel pump was replaced.

My new problem is still the same: The engine runs great for some time, then it slows down, then it runs on

two cylinders (my guess), and then it dies.  I cannot restart it unless I wait 10-15 min.  I was hoping it was

just water in my fuel and I wanted to believe it would go away by emptying my Racor water container before

I went out every time.  But it is now so bad I am afraid to go out.  Today was the fifth time I tried and the

engine only runs FIVE minutes, then it slows, then goes on two cylinders, then it dies.  I wait 10-15 min, the

engine restarts, I can take it even to 5,000 RPM, and then it dies again five minutes later!

I am very frustarted to say the least.  The engine report shows NO FAULTS.  My conclusion is that my new

fuel pump gets hot, it shuts itself down, and then it works again after is cools down.  Is that possible?  Is it

possible the software would show no faults if that is what is going on?  Can anyone suggest any other

explanation given that NO engine lights come on?  Any suggestions will be approciated.  Please be aware

I have already disassembled my entire fuel delivery system and replaced all clamps, the two balls, and

some of the fuel lines.  When the engine shuts off the fuel balls are firm and full of gas.

Aloha, Tony.

Skipper

I want you to know the ordeal I have gone through has left me more impressed

about my 90hp E-TEC than I was originally.

All my problems after the fuel pump was replaced seem to have been caused by

water in my fuel tank (still a mistery to me).  I took the tank out after removing my

floor board, vacuumed it, put in ethanol gasoline again (I avoided the gas station

with no-ethanol gasoline for fear the station's gas may be contaminated), and it

ran great today, for almost three hours of fishing in the Pacific ocean..

Despite all the problems, the engine still managed to bring me home FIVE times.

It would shut down, but then it would restart and brought me to the dock.

Thank you Evinrude and Aloha.

Captain

Sell it already no one else has issues you  !

Mate

Amen brother I bought a new Etec 150 to get rid of engine problems. After only a few hours on the engine the EMM went out along with multible other problems. I am sick of Evinrude products my boat has been in the shop alot more than the other motor I had and it was a 1989 150. I wish I could back up and rethink my desision the purchase this motor. I will bet it will not be a Evinrude.

Very Disapointed 

Call me Evinrude 864-378-9207

Admiral

Verydisapointed wrote:

Amen brother I bought a new Etec 150 to get rid of engine problems. After only a few hours on the engine the EMM went out along with multible other problems. I am sick of Evinrude products my boat has been in the shop alot more than the other motor I had and it was a 1989 150. I wish I could back up and rethink my desision the purchase this motor. I will bet it will not be a Evinrude.

Very Disapointed 

Call me Evinrude 864-378-9207

Please accept our apologies for your Evinrude that has not lived up to your expectations. That is not a normal occurrence.

Please send an email to brp.care@brp.com with the engine serial number, dealer name, and a brief history. Your situation will be looked into.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Just bought a 2014 pro gator with a 2012 250 etech. Put in and ran about 5-10 minutes. At 50 mph the boat stopped. Lower unit ! Had to troll back to the ramp. 6 hours! Paid $38000.00 for a rig and only ran it a few minutes. Drove 100 miles back where I bought it at the dealer. Been a week and 2 days! Still don’t know when it’ll b ready! Very disappointed!!!!

62jonscub wrote:

Picked up motor from Dealer for the second time.Put in the water Got not even a quater mile from the boat ramp and engine dIed again.Pulled and pulled and won't start.Third time back too Dealer.This is a new motor that i just paid $4000.00 thousand Dollars for and is totally unusable.I have tried three times to use it and have been stranded with It.what are the Lemon laws about boat motors.This motor is going BYE,BYE.

Mate

Picked up a 2014 pro gator 210 extreme couple weeks ago. 2012 etech 250. Went the next day and put in the ark river. Ran up river about 7 or 8 miles, at 50 mph boat came to a sudden stop!lower unit went out! Had to troll with trolling motor all way back to the ramp! 98 degrees! 6 hours! Just paid $ 38,500.00 for a boat that lasted no more than 10 minutes! Took it back to dealer on Tuesday evening. Btw 100 miles from home! That was a week ago yesterday and still don’t know when I’m getting it back! Very very disappointed!!!!

Admiral

Teamhummit1 wrote:

Just bought a 2014 pro gator with a 2012 250 etech.

Drove 100 miles back where I bought it at the dealer. Been a week and 2 days! Still don’t know when it’ll b ready! Very disappointed!!!!

Please accept our apology that your Evinrude has not performed to expectations. A gearcase problem is not a common situation.

If this is a new engine under warranty, a gearcase should be shipped to the dealer within a few days. What does your dealer tell you?

If you have any difficulties, please email the serial number, dealer name, and your contact info to  brp.care@brp.com  to have them look into the situation.