Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

If the starter just spins slowly and does not engage the flywheel, usually it is a voltage problem due to a weak battery, loose or corroded connections, or bad cables. More rare, but possible are a bad solenoid or a faulty starter.

If someone used a hammer on a faulty starter, it is easy to break the magnets inside and ruin the whole thing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Hello All,

First Post to E-Nation

In June I purchased a new Statos 486-SF with an Evinrude 150 HO e-tec, prop is Rapter 2, 24 pitch.

Issue: From the very first ride the engine is very lazy when coming up on plane, sounds like it's getting excessive fuel (Choked up), dealer has not been very helpful as yet.

Oil consumption is heavy, I have approx. 15-20 hrs on the engine & have just dumped in my 4th, gallon of Evinrude XD-100, my run time is approx. 40% idling & 60% crusing (30-40 MPH).

I thought the issue maybe due to a breakin mode, dealer says there is NO breakin period other than 4-6 hrs. of increased oil consumption.

Two weeks ago my wife & I went for a ride & wow, now we have 150 plus HP, up on plane immediately, now the engine sounds very CRISP, however my good fortune was not to last, went out again yesterday & again the engine is very lazy coming up on plane but does seen to run not bad on top end, 59.6 MPH on GPS.

Thanks

T-Cat2002   

Admiral

We need the most important bit of information which is what is the top rpm with a normal load aboard?

In addition, what is the complete model number of your motor taken from the serial number tag?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Bluewater Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply.

RPM @ WOT = 5200 TO 5300 as per the boats tach.

Serial Number = 05409801,

The problem is not so much with the top-end performance (59.7 GPS), where the lack of power is really noticable is getting on plane (Hole shot).

Allen

Captain

My 130. 2009 has never missed a lick.  Good speed, low fuel and oil consumption. This is saltwater user.  Goes in Sept for the 3 year warranty check up.

Oh, I did have one problem.  The TNT would not trim at plane.  The dealer/BPR replaced it in short order.

Mike

Admiral

[ Edited ]

T-Cat2002 wrote:

RPM @ WOT = 5200 TO 5300 as per the boats tach.

Serial Number = 05409801,

The problem is not so much with the top-end performance (59.7 GPS), where the lack of power is really noticable is getting on plane (Hole shot).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allen,

Your problem is that you have the wrong size propeller on the boat. It is not allowing the motor to rev up enough. The excessive oil consumption is the engine's way of trying to protect itself because it is over-propped and working too hard.

See your dealer for a smaller pitch prop that will allow your motor to have a full throttle rpm between 5500-5800 with a normal load onboard for best overall performance.

Mate

have a 2005 etec dpx . bought it an boat used. Just started ..heat light an buzzer comes on on top end .. about 4000 rpm s . Have replaced ever thing  relating to water. any help . 

Skipper

check spark plugs, every once in a while need a check up

Captain

First this is most probably an operating and rigging problem not an etec specific engine problem.

Check water pressure, with a mechanical guage via the fitting in the top of the head.

Pull off the Thermostats/hoses and check for blockages/obstructions with debris. I saw a 150 etec that lived on a shallow river and got run through sandbars regularly that had all the water passages in the block full of sand and fine river gravel. Shocklingly it overheated until it failed owner blamed the motor and said it should have done more than beep. I asked like what wail? moan? beg for mercy? call your wife? threaten to hole a piston in a menacing voice?

You need a different prop like right now! 4000rpm at W.O.T. is almost 50% below the usual target area.

Mate

Thank for info. Had the plugs changed at first of season with service. Have flushed the water jackets out while getting it worked on. seams to be a computer problem or something. will not run hot in pool at shop. has got to running on top end in water.  When does show hot on light have check engine with heat gun therometer can not find any spot on engine over  168 degree.  as soon as boat off plane an setting in water light goes off.