Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

Bluewater,

That is what I originally thought too, however after trying 3 different props, by the way by existing prop is NOT  a Rapter it is a Raker 2, 24 Pitch ventilated.

In my original post I stated that ONE trip out the boat / engine worked awesome, very quick to plane & completely different sound, very crisp, the next trip out again lazy, this all with the same prop.

I have not checked as yet but this week-end I plan to go out again, before hand I am going to pull the plugs for a look see, the more I think about this (Mechanic for 40 + yrs.) the more I think the heavy oil consumption is or has lead to plug contamination which would explain to some degree lack of power down low.

Having said all that Bill, I know from the one trip out when the engine worked properly the boat is not over propped, I believe the heavy oil consumption is causing the problems.

Note, my last engine was a Merc. 135 Optimax, my boating has not changed from that engine to the e-tech however the Merc would routinely go all summer on ONE 4 L jug of oil, since June 15th this year I have put FIVE JUGS of XD-100 in the e-tech, my estimate is approx. 4-6 hours / jug.

Allen

Captain

Dealer has messed with it that much but hasn't put a water pressure gauge on it and taken it to the lake for a ride? Run away from any dealer that does not lake test everything as part of their diagnostic process and again after they fix it. Because if they don't lake test stuff you the customer are lake testing it when you take it home and try to go boating with the family.

Captain

4-6 hours per gallon of oil is within the normal range for a 150hp etec if it is set to 50:1 metering. Rough numbers etec 150 fuel consumption at WOT is about 15 gallons per hour times 5 hours is 75 gallons of fuel consumed one gallon of oil to 75 gallons of fuel seems in the range of reason for the duty cycle you are describing. I think your recollection on the 135 opti is faulty. One gallon of oil to 50 gallons of gas which is the standard ratio optis meter at WOT gives about four hours running time per gaiion, optis meter about 100 to one at 3500rpm so with the motor using about 6 gallons of fuel per hour total run time increases to about 16 hours, at idle where Optis meter about 300 to one and burn about one gallon of fuel per hour theoretical run time increases to 300 hours.

Skipper

Captain;

Thank you for your reply however you're not listening to what I am saying & for the record my calculations for oil consumption in the Optimax IS VERY accurary, you are assuming by your statement that I am operating at WOT for 4-6 hrs. "Who does That"

I my case your calculations for fuel consumption are OFF the chart, do the math, I have approx. 20 hrs on the engine & to date have put $378.00 (as per CC Statement) in my world that = 61.8 gallons of supreme fuel or approx. 3.08 gallons per hr., so I guess your calculations of 1 gallon of oil / 75 gallons of fuel would be very acceptable however I am now on my 5th, gallon of oil my thinking is that is 5 times more than it should be.

These engines have a EU rating of THREE STARS, use that for your calculations, I will guarrantee that 4 L in 4-6 hrs at average RPM of 2000 is NOT acceptable.

I get the sense that you believe I perfer Merc. vs. Evinrude, not the case I was very impressed withe engine's performance the ONE trip out that it operated in my opinion properly, I will get this remedied just a matter of how long it takes.

Allen

Captain

I didn't realize we were playing the game where you withhold information,  then posters trying to help you make logical guesses and then you reveal the correct answer. If you had said my engine used four gallons of oil to 60 gallons of gas or 15:1 it would have made this so much simpler. Call Evinrude after sales support and give them those amounts. You definitely have an oil delivery issue I am surpised the oil pump can even deliver that low of a ratio.

Admiral

hickskenny wrote:

Thank for info. Had the plugs changed at first of season with service. Have flushed the water jackets out while getting it worked on. seams to be a computer problem or something. will not run hot in pool at shop. has got to running on top end in water.  When does show hot on light have check engine with heat gun therometer can not find any spot on engine over  168 degree.  as soon as boat off plane an setting in water light goes off.  

Your dealer should run an engine report to find out when, where, and how hot the engine or computer, EMM, got. An overheated EMM will also slow the motor down and give a HOT light indication.

If it is the EMM, then you may have mud or sand restricting the cooling water or aerated water flow getting into the motor which will not cool the engine or EMM correctly.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Trimup,

My intent was not to mislead anyone, however I am just frustrated with having to solve these issues when I have spent 30+ K for a new boat.

Allen
Skipper

Bluewater,

Finally problems may be solved, local dealer as of last week employes a new tech (Experienced), I took the boat in this am & guess what shows up on the computer;

Problem:  Excessive Oil consumption, Oil system was not properly bled on intial start up, computer called for max oil        

delivery & would not re-set automatically.

Lazy on bottom end, slow to plane, TPS found loose & out of adjustment, as found 215, spec. says 195, as per

the tech. this will cause the computer to advance the timing thus robbing low

low end power.

I am putting the boat in storage this week end so will not know the end result of above until next May however I feel much better now that something was found.

Another note, While at the dealer today I stated I would be putting the boat in storage this week-end, service manager asked if I wanted him to winterize the engine, I stated I thought there was a sequence were as the owner could do this, he was farther vague & stated if not done it could void the warranty, I said do it, $ 71.00 dollars later, now back in my office & what do you know, go to google & there is the tube video of how to.

My hope is that next summer is trouble free.

Allen

Mate

Greetings from Australia. I bought a used boat with 104 hours and an e-Tec 150 that was 20 months old.  I have always had mercury in the past so this is my first Evinrude experience.

Anyway the engine is now in pieces at my local Evinrude dealer. 

- It  would lose power at constant throttle setting and around 3800 rpm, it would lose power for 5-10 seconds and then be OK again.

- It has a heavy knocking noise from somewhere in the upper part of the leg at idle.

- Seems to smoke excessively at idle when warm

- rough idle compared to other similar engines I have heard at the boat ramp.

So far the service agent has said it seems 2 of the injectors are gummed up. He said they are injecting blobs instead of a spray. Sounds a bit interesting ???   The cure they are trying is soaking the injectors in cleaner overnight.

Previously, when in reverse, the engine would lift up quite a bit. This was partially repaired on a previous visit to the dealer, but it still does it to a lesser extent. The fault was blamed on some pins being worn....  Very strange for a 104 hour engine ????  To me it would seem that there's an issue with the tilt hydraulics.

Any comments would be appreciated as to what the forum thinks of this.

Thanks folks.

PS... I hope BRP here in Aussieland are as customer friendly as they seem to be in the USA. 

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Aussie_Paddy wrote:

Greetings from Australia. I bought a used boat with 104 hours and an e-Tec 150 that was 20 months old.  I have always had mercury in the past so this is my first Evinrude experience.

PS... I hope BRP here in Aussieland are as customer friendly as they seem to be in the USA. 

HI Paddy,

If you are near the Sydney area I can give you the name of a switched on dealer who can take care of practically any E-TEC problem.

First, can you start a new thread here in the OWNERS ZONE as you placed this one right in the middle of other conversations and questions? It gets confusing for both the readers and for us to try to follow more than one  owner and engine in a  thread. Repost your question in a new thread and we can then give you our undivided attention. Thanks.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.