Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

Welcome to the Evinrude family.  

Read your owners manual thoroughly and do not hesitate to start a new post if you have any questions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

I am new to this forum and also new to boating.  I see this is a bit of an older thread but I thought I would try it out.  

I was soooo excited to purchase a boat with an Evinrude and have always heard amazing things about these motors.  The motor is what actually sold me on getting a Key West 1720 boat.  

I have had this boat for about one month and I've already had to have it in to the mechanic two weekends in a row to have 2 different fuel injectors replaced.  I got an Engine ID report from them and I see the fuel injector circuit has been "open" 3 other times before I got the boat.  

I don't know if I'm doing someting to cause these fuel injectors to go bad?  The mechanic was shocked to see me back a week later with the same problem only on a different injector.  

Please give any insight you can to help this First Time boat owner out.  I want to take my son out, but have zero confidence in this motor now.

thanks everyone...

Mate

I forgot to add info about the motor:

2008 90 HP Evinrude ETEC

130 hours

thank you

Captain

Buying anything second hand is hit and miss and you want to find out if these injectors suffered from damage internally-easy to do by dismantling the injector inlcuding the nozzle and seeing if any rust is present. 

Admiral

Your used motor is now 8 years old and only has 130 hours according to your information. On motors with very little use means that fuel, moisture,  and possible ethanol  often sits and degrades over a period of time. Corrosion or varnish deposits could affect the injectors if the fuel was not kept stablilized before and during the storage periods.

Ask your dealer to talk to the factory dealer support team to see if any participation by Evinrude could be obtained to help alleviate some of the injector costs.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

That makes complete sense and I will ask the dealer to get ahold of the factory support team... Is there also someone I could speak to?  Ive heard and read amazing things about Evinrude's customer service.  

This boating/fishing thing is one getting to be one expensive addiction.

thank you Huey for your response as well.  

Admiral

With the serial number available, you can call the  After Sales Support Dept.  at 262-884-5993 and make them aware of your situation but Evinrude has to confer with the dealer technician before making any decision.

Mate

i have owned mercs and yamaha engines and had very good luck with both. very little maint, no problems, very reliable. last year i bought a used boat with a 115 etec with less than 500 hrs. i like a lot of other people thought etec was a very good and reliable engine. boy was i wrong. when i started reading these posts with all the  problems with fouling plugs, fuel injectors, sensors, i knew these engines were a piece of shi_, because no longer than i had mine i had expierenced all these problems. i just spent 1018.00 for injectors and plugs. i took this piece of junk as fast as i could to a merc dealer and purchased a 4 stroke. there will never be another evinrude at any price on my boat. not a glutton for punishment.

Captain

Best of luck then and if you paid over a grand for injector cleaning ( I bet all that was needed if no codes set) and 4 plugs you better not go back to that place with your new Merc becasue they willmost likely overcharge you. You will spend that within the first three services so good luck. Buying anything used can be hit or miss so unless you own something from new you never know what the story is. Not sure why you bothered to join and post.

Mate

just wanted other buyers to be aware of all the problems with etec motors. by the way the 1018.00 was not just for plugs and injectors there were other issues. granted it was a used engine but when i started doing some digging about etec motors almost everything was negative. i even had a dealer tell me he could not give away an etec. and the price they charge for their oil i can afford several maintence visits for my 4 stroke.