Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

bought a new e-tec last June. would never even consider buying used. too many people abuse their motors or dont take care of them. i have friends who dont take care of them and have more than their share of problems. last evinrude lasted 17 years hope to get the same out of ths one
Captain

As I said good luck then and yes that dealer MUST be right then and we ahve been doing this since 1961 and have had very good success with E-TEC and the biggest boat builder here in Oz only factory rigs one brand too, but yes you "must" be right, they and us would not know what we are doing.

Mate

Re: very impressed

I just was looking at buying twin 150 etec motors and I thought I would see what problems people have had with the motors. I just could not believe that the factory was responding to posts. It's not very often you see true customer service come from the factory I have to say good job. I had just rebuilt a 4.3 motor only to find the machine shop missed the bore size by .0075 oversize and motor failed with 53 hours. I own and operate a machine shop myself and i'm getting ready to battle the machine shop that bored my engine. I just hope they make things right with the motor. I have a friend that has twin 150 motors and just raves about how good they are on gas. Todd at portland marine electronics in portland oregon did a class act job on the install. The guy has done work for me and always does a great job and he expects the same from his employee's. Todd had told me he had teen etec motors with over 7000 hrs and still running strong and the motor were purchased by the goverment and we all know how the goverment takes care of it's toys!!!

Captain

Re: very impressed

I am an Evinrude Pro Staff for 2 years now and I have to say I am Proud of it. I am a licensed Captain/Guide in Illinois,Indiana,Wisconsin and soon adding Michigan. I run a 16' 7" Princecraft Nanook with a 75 hp E Tec, I guide Bass Walleye and Panfish, I troll for Salmon and Trout but that's for my own Enjoyment. I have to say that my E -Tec is outstanding it has not let me down and lives up to everything i put it through and has cost me nothing but gas and oil to run it. Last winter I fiehed open rivers at least 15 times got back to shore and 2 minutes later I was winterizied and ready to head home. That alone is a savings of hundreds of dollars now add the fuel savings and no maintenance for 300 hours its hard to beat beat it. ASs far as performance I run a 15 pitch stainless prop and with 4 adults and all gear in the bot I run 38 to 40 mph at 5400rpm.At  3200 rpm the boat cruises 28 to 30 mph rides great and you can talk like your sitting at home,I have had people get in the boat for a trip and sit for a few minutes and not even know the motor was running. Yes I'm hooked ther will be nothing but E-TEC on my boats.

Capt. Pat Harrison
Mate

I have a 2006 E-TEC -250 HP. Serial # 05119545. It threw a rod through a cyclinder with only 47 hours on the engine. I owned a 2000 Evinrude 250 and it threw a rod with only 7 hours on that engine. My local Evinrude dealer Parker Boats and Marine in Amarillo talked me into ordering the 2006 E-TEC because of it's superior reliability, which obviously has not worked out. The dealer and myself have contacted  Evinrude to see about some goodwill on a new power head, but have been denied so far. If my math is correct it has cost me about $425.00 an hour to run an Evinrude. I think they should stand behind their product and take care of there customers. 

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Hi Joe,

There seems to be more to the story as your motor is 10 years old, 7 years out of a normal factory warranty, yet only 47 hours on it as you claim. The records show it was purchased in June of 2005.

Was this a demo motor, an insurance salvage motor, or have something else unusual happen to it in its 10 year history?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Bluewater Bill, the facts of the matter are that I bought a new 2006 Triton and ordered it from Triton with the Evinrude E_TEC. All brand new. It has only been serviced at the selling dealer , Parker Boats in Amarillo. The reason for the low hours is that we have a severe drought in our area and just no water close by. The boat has always been housed in a heated warehouse. It has only had tender love and care. Parker has talked to the manufacturer, but they have not offered any kind of goodwill.

Skipper

Well Bluewater Bill it is now May 2015, as per my last post Sept. 10, 2014, I had my boat into the dealer & they found some issues & my thought then was finally these issues are cured & 2015 will be great, however 2015 has started off WORST then 2014.

Last Sunday the weather here was perfect sunny 26C water calm, my wife & I decided to go for an afternoon fish & I was extremely anxious to try the boat after the dealers findings from last fall, what a DISAPPOINTMENT, exactly the same issue NO low end power very lazy to plane, engine sounds as if it is loading up with fuel, personally I believe it to be TIMING related.

Fished for 2 hrs. very nice day, decided to go up river for a spin & let the engine run at 3500 TO 4000 RPM for a bit, went approx. 2 miles & boom HIGH water temp. alarm, I shutdown waited approx. 2-3 min. restarted & NO alarm, proceed to plane & boom High water temp. alarm again, shutdown & examined water intakes all clear (we were in approx. 80 Ft. of water) restarted NO water circulation, shutdown & spent 2 hrs. with the trolling motor getting back to our dock.

Boat is now back at the dealer, however their comments are not encouraging, they are acting as if NO problems exist regarding the low end power issue & the water circulation issue, the first words out of their mouths was it is likely the water pump & it will not be warranty as you most likely got dirt in it. 

I am looking for a NEW dealer, however NONE within 400 MILES, what does one do now, there are other smaller issues with this boat that I have not mentioned as they are not my major concern.

I do not wish to give up on this boat engine combination as I stated in an earlier post the ONE day it worked properly it was awesome exactly what I expected I just need to get these engine issues corrected.

Thanks for a place vent.

Admiral

I'm really sorry that your engine did not get fixed correctly and now you have an overheating issue. Lazy acceleration and low top speed power could signal an injector that is either restricted or not flowing correctly. That is just a guess on my part.

Where are you located in the world and I will try to find an Evinrude distributor for you to contact?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Morning Bill

For the record I am located in Fredericton NB, slight correction on your comment (Low top end power), it is poor low-end power, top end power seems fine or at least close ( 59 MPH @ 5500 RPM).

I spoke with the Evinrude Tech. dept. yesterday & was very impressed the guy I spoke with he seemed genuine & stated they would review my issues in-house & then contact my dealer to come up solultions, should know something by days end.

Allen