Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

Hello Bluewater Bill,

Well I got the boat back from my dealer last Friday, they replaced the water pump & spark plugs ($577.00), & stated NO warranty, they had NO defintive answer as to why the water failed however I had them print me a copy of the computer readouts allot means nothing to me, I was able to determine that the water pump failed approx. 36 minutes after the last service in Sept. 2014, during that service the dealer stated they had my engine running (with ear muffs on) for approx. 45 minutes, when I asked about that they stated that NO way that could have caused damage to the water pump, I do not see how ear muffs fit these engines given the location of the water in-take.

Put the boat in the water Sat.orning (still the Raker 11 prop (14.5 x 24p), boat seemed to be somewhat better to plane than previous (2 people & full load of fuel) however WOT RPM was only 48-4900, water was good slight chop only, so waht have they changed previous RPM approx. 5300, same load same conditions & same prop.

But boat back on the trailer & installed an aluminum prop (14.3 x 21p), went back out same conditions & load, WOT RPM now 5500 (Speedometer is not correct or even close & I did not have my GPS) not sure of top speed, it did seen fast, with the aluminum prop I was not able to trim up as high as with the S/S, approx. 1/3 less.

Dealer is now ordering in a Raker 11 (14.5 x 22p)

Any comments are appricated, I think I am losing my prospective as nothing stays consisdent.

Allen

Admiral

Your engine needs to run near 5500-5600 rpm at full throttle for all around performance. I doubt that the 22" pitch will get you there, but as you mentioned that it reached 5500 rpm at an earlier date. If so the engine should be checked out for full power output with a compression check, cylinder balance check, and a TPS voltage check at WOT along with fuel pressure tests and fuel delivery vacuum and bubble tests. A factory trained technician can do all of that for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I bought the Evinrude E-Tec 90 in May 2014, and it has never run right. It condenses a lot at 2,000-2,500 revs, vibrates at low speed and is very loud. It smells a lot, a gas smell which comes right into the cabin. The trim-lifter was kaput at 60 hours and the fuel pump at 80 hours. They had me drain the tanks, put in fresh gas, and change the filter, and still the same problems. They said it was water in the fuel, so we ran it on their gas, and still the same. I reached out to Evinrude and they refuse to fix the problem. They deny all the problems, still saying it’s water in the fuel. I paid a lot of money for a new outboard which is not working and likely to destruct before it’s time and I think Evinrude should do something about it and they are not. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Admiral

Hi Frank,

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your Evinrude E-TEC outboard motor. Thank you for making us aware of this.

Would you be so kind as to post or PM the engine's serial number and your contact information so that we can research this for you?  You mention that Evinrude refuses to fix the problem. Could you elaborate on statement that for us? Are your refering to Evinrude Motors or to a dealer for Evinrude Motors?

When we receive your information we will forward it along with your comments to the appropriate department and personnel.

Again, please accept our apologies for your experiences.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I had similar problems with my Etec 150. Had to carry back to dealer so many times that I hhave gotten afraid to take the boat away from the dock.  Motor has less than 100 hourw a d in firsst year had to replace two high speed fuel pumps which was blamed on ethanal fuel which my dealer said was no problem using it.  Then I had all fuel injectors and again Evinrude said was water in fuel which I had to pay a 3000.00 bill to my dealer who installed the motor and pumped out old fuel .  Now again I put the boat back in water again yesterday and had to be towed in because I lost all power to my helm.  Have voltage to engine as checked by a voltage meter but nothing to switch.  Looks like another trip back to my dealer.. At this point i am not pleased at all with my motor or my dealer which assured me when I bought this new motor to go run the heck out of my motor and if anything happened to it bring it back and he would take care of it under warranty.  Thus far the motor has spent more time in the shop than it has in the water.  Worst purchase of my life.  Already costing me more than half of the value of the motor.  Grand Lagoon Marine in Pensacola Florida has not been able to help me at all with Evinrude and they have done all the work.

Admiral

We are sorry to hear of the problems that you have experienced.

With the serial number at hand, please talk to Evinrude After Sales Support and explain the situations that have happened. Call 262-884-5993 during normal business hours CDT. This is the peak boating season, please be patient if you experience long hold times on the phone. 

Skipper

Hello Bluewater Bill,

Well up until now most of my post's have been rather negative however things are now moving in a much better direction, I took your advise & contacted the Evinrude Tech. Dept. & was lucky enough to speak with a gentleman named Don, I say lucky perhaps all the tech's are as helpful as Don. The problem with heavy oil consumption has been corrected, dealer had setting of 50:1 verses the XD100 setting, in previous post's I stated strongly that I did not believe the boat was over-propped however I may end up eating some Crow regarding that statement, I am now running a RX4-22 15" & this is the best performing prop as yet, on plane very quickly using 1/2 throttle, very smooth at 3000-4000 RPM, only down side appears to be RPM @ WOT, approx. 5200, I am now awaiting a new RX4-20-15" as a 21 is not available. not sure at this point if I am propping to compensate for an engine issue time will tell.

When I review my issues from the start knowing what I know now I believe the right dealer could have prevented if not all at least most of my issues.

This time last year I was pretty disappointed with my decision to purchase an Evinrude verses Mercury, thanks to yourself & the Evinrude Tech. Dept. that is changing, thanks for the help & please keep up the great service.

Thanks

Allen 

Admiral

[ Edited ]

T-Cat2002 wrote:

When I review my issues from the start knowing what I know now I believe the right dealer could have prevented if not all at least most of my issues.

This time last year I was pretty disappointed with my decision to purchase an Evinrude verses Mercury, thanks to yourself & the Evinrude Tech. Dept. that is changing, thanks for the help & please keep up the great service.

Thank you for your kind words.

It is a shame, but almost every complaint that blames the motor could have been easily avoided by proper setup and testing by either the boat manufacturer or the dealer.

We are glad to hear that your problems were easily resolved and our now you know that  our customer service people are second to none.

Here is an article about them:

http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner-zone/supporting-roles-unsurpassed-customer-service/

Captain

I have a 30 hp 2010 etec it never made it too 200 hours. I took it in for its service and always flushed it. It's only like my 15 th outboard. But sadly it couldn't get two 200 hours. It ingested water into its lungs and it burst. My brother immediately told me you should of bought a yamaha. Yeah well I thought these motors were good . I thought I was being American and stickin too my evinrude roots. The motor will go down in the ranks with the ficht and force and the old Chrysler and the gamefisher it sucks cause they talk all this stuff about the etec but its all a joke.
Skipper

What I want to know is how does someone making a living on the water do it if they own a Evinrude like the one I have. Now I know why off shore fishermen have two or three Evinrudes hanging on the boats.