Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

I have had an e tec 125 for just under 3 years and it has been great always starts and runs. My problem is the 9.8 kicker. Been in the shop once because the key for the flywheel came out and ate up the flywheel. The warranty covered parts and labor. Then I used once for a tournament and now it won't start. I'm entered in 4 more tournaments and the dealer can't get me in for over a month, putting me out of the warranty. Iv never had so much trouble with a kicker. I don't know if thats all evinrude kickers or if I just got a lemon. I never had one problem with my merc kicker that I owned for over 5 years.
Mate

Just lost cylinder four on an 03 175hp Ficht. Bought it used and did'nt have it a year when this happened. Dealer says about 3700 for rebuild and a new injector .Instead of throwing good money after bad I have been thinking about just repowering with a new E-TEC. Now after reading these posts I am starting to have second thoughts. Just not sure which way to go at this point. Love seeing the after sales support but like many others we hope to never have to go that route.
Admiral

HI EttasMan,

After you replace your FICHT with a new E-TEC you will wonder why you did not do it sooner. There is that much of a difference in quietness, quick starting, overall driveability, and oil consumption,

The thing to remember is that there are 10's of thousands of E-TEC's out in the field that are running and have been running without a problem, only the normal required maintenance.,  When things run well people are not known to go to boating forums and say that all is goodl People for the most part only post here because it is human nature to complain or they do have a legitimate issue. The few machines discussed here are only a minute fraction of the ones doing well.

Evinrude is the only outboard manufacturer to offer help and customer service like this. Because it is free and convenient, more and more people are taking advantage of it.  Check out the Evinrude Facebook page which gets more attention from those whose E-TEC is operating  as expected, and often exceeding their expectations.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I am leaning toward a new 150 ETEC from dealer. They said they would have to order it and it would be 10 days to 2 weeks which is reasonable. When I inquired as to would it be a 2015 the reply was that Bombardier does not give them model years, but they go by date of manufacture. I sort of question that. If it is manufactured in a certain year then that is the motors model year in my opinion. Also I would think the warranty would follow the manufacture date. Speaking of warranty, I understand the E-TEC comes with a 5 year warranty. Is that a full 5 year warranty from Bombardier or is it partially managed by a third party warranty company ?
Admiral

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring about Evinrude Outboards.  In the marine industry, the several large outboard companies eliminated model years quite a while back, Mercury and Yamaha were the first to quit using yearly designations.  Evinrude followed suit several years later for 2013 and newer production. Everything is by model number now. There is a date of manufacture on a label for a reference.

The warranty coverage starts the day of delivery to the customer, not the year of manufacture. The warranty is  Evinrude factory administered - there is no 3rd party magagement.

We look forward to your joining the ever growing Evinrude family.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Sorry but if you own any outboard chances are it will FAIL.You can be a happy boat owner if you buy a Seloc manual for references, kick the tires so to speak,open your cowling and eyes!yes I've had issues and by being observant have kept my 225RudeRam going strong.Its the little things that bite your ass.Fishi g line,one butter fly slowly closing,wire harness
Installed with the opening towards block(shorts), plugged exhaust sensor,weak spark plugs(iridium THE BEST ONES), C clips .Take time to look over your motor ,and it will take care of you.Back in the day when watches were worn people didn't take them to the jewler to have them wind them up did they. Fix it your self.
Mate

I've got 2 E-tech and talked several neighbour's at the cottage (we're on islands so everyone needs a boat). I'm beginning to wish I'd never heard about these motors.

I think they are a great idea but they just don't stand up. My 90 has gone through 4 injectors and the crappy plastic cowling on the lower unit (just out of warranty) and my 50, with 251 hours and out of warranty in April had the computer go to the tune of $1100 - the dealer says he'll chop the price of the part but the fact remains

that the major part in a low usage motor died JUST AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRED.

It's almost as if they are programming the computers to make the engine go bad when the warranty expires.

I certainly won't be extolling the virtues of E-tec to anyone in the future. 

I've always been an Evinrude man but I'd have to think twice about buying another one.

Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your experiences with your Evinrudes and thank you for taking time to inform us.

Please email your engines' serial numbers and your comments to   brp.care@brp.com .  They can better assist you and can look into the situations that you have experienced.

Thank you.

Mate

I bought a  2013 150 HP ETEC motor.  I am using it on a 19ft. Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin boat that originally had 1989 Johnston 150hp.  I have had excellent performance and amazing gas mileage, nothing but good things to say about this motor until this summer when the check engine light came on. I took it to the mechanic and found we had bad fuel and damaged the injectors.  For some reason this is not covered by the five year warranty.  I am extremely disappointed by BRP and their lack of response to emails.  At this point I would no longer recommend anyone else buying this motor.  BRP need to stand behind their products, instead of hiding behind email addresses which produce no results.  

Mate

Sorry you had this bad experience with you outboard.

I've been in the power sports industry since 1982.

The fuel we get these days is of poor quality compared to fuel 5, 10, or 15 years ago.

I've never seen any manufacture stand behind technical issues related to bad fuel with a warranty.

It's the owner’s responsibility to use preventive techniques to reduce fuel related problems by using products to limit stale fuel.

This is stated in every owner’s manual I’ve seen in the pre-storage maintenance sections.

I recommend my customers to drain the fuel system if your engine configuration allows this method.

Alternatively, use quality fuel stabilizer products to help prevent stale or varnished fuel deposits.

If you use blended fuel add alcohol treatment.

This is a necessity on watercraft fuel as it tends to absorb more water from the humid operating environment.

Good luck