Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Member of the E-Tec Blown Engine Club

I have a 2008 E-Tec 250 on a Ranger 2200 Bay Boat.  I loved it....until it melted due to one of the injectors stopping up with less than 250 hours on the motor.  Before this, other than yearly maintenance, i have had to replace the starter two times.

I took it to a authorized Evinrude dealer for repairs.  Top of one piston was melted and somewhat held together by the rings.  Cylinder wall was damage to the point of no repair.

I went with the option of replacing the entire block, new injector and dealer said the others were fine but I requested that they be cleaned and inspected.

After being down for over a month, I got the boat back.  Dealer said that they put over an hour on engine breaking it in and he gave me instructions on what to do to put several more hours on it before running full throttle.

i followed these and motor would only run around 5000 RPM's where the original was running at 5600 at the same trim and jack plate settings.  Dealer said that it was still in break in mode.  Then at the end of the weekend, the motor would barely turn over with a new battery that the dealer put in.  Took it back and the EMM was not allowing the battery to charge while running.

Sent the EMM to Evinrude to repair and was advised that the differnce in cost to repair vs replace was about $200 so i went with new for $1800 for the part alone.. 

Now I'm over $15,000 in a rebuild of a 2008 Evinrude. 

I took it out this past weekend and and when i cranked it, the smoke was embarrasing.   Looked like a mosquito fogger for a couple minutes.  Then as i started to take off, the low oil alarm came on but i had another gallon of XD100 in the boat.  I ran between 30-40 gallons of gas and the alarm came on again as i was pulling back into dock.

I'm loosing confidence in Evinrude at this point, where in the past, I wouldn't hesitate to run offshore and fish all day.

Skipper

Re: Member of the E-Tec Blown Engine Club

[ Edited ]

Oh and to carry this one step further, when the EMM was at Evinrude and the dealer called back and said that i wanted the new EMM, it was returned with the old one.  Then we found out that the new one had to be reprogrammed so both EMM's had to be mailed back to Evinrude for this causing additional delay.

Not a happy camper at this point.

Any idea why it used a gallon of oil in this amount of time?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

If you had the dealer install a factory approved rebuilt powerhead, it comes with a factory warranty. Your dealer can contact Evinrude factory support for advice and/or assistance.

It the rebuilt block was from someone else, your dealer can contact them for warranty coverage if it is still in force.

This assumes the the root cause of the original powerhead was found and corrected by your dealer.  About the excessive oil consumption, the motor will use extra oil for the first 2 hours above 2000 rpm during the automatic break in period that is controlled by the EMM. If the high oil usage continued there could be problems with the recirculation checkvalves, numerous starts and stops, hard acceleration, or rpm above 6000.

If it is a factory rebuilt and you have issues with the dealer, you may email the serial number and a copy of the invoice to brp.care@brp.com and they will investigate.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Everything replaced was from Evinrude.  I went with all new and was told that I will have a 1 year warranty.

OK I understand now about the oil consumption during initial break in, but should I be concerned about the RPM's?

Admiral

ROACH wrote:

OK I understand now about the oil consumption during initial break in, but should I be concerned about the RPM's?

yes, there is no break in mode that limits the power output. It may be advisable to check for full throttle opening and proper TPS voltage at WOT.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Well guess what.  NEW ENGINE BLOWN AGAIN with less than 10 hrs on it. 

I always check to make sure it's "peeing" and it was.  No alarms went off, just shut down while cruising around 4000rpm's.

Factory rep on way to dealer for inspection.

Now this is two trips that I have made where I've put over 1500 miles on my truck and trailer and then have to get towed back in and not have the boat to use.

Thanks Evinrude.

Mate

Man I'm about to buy a boat with a 300 on it reading this makes me really think about not doing the deal .I hope they give u a new engine man
Admiral

Charley,
You never read about the hundreds of thousands of happy Evinrude customers as they go on with their lives. This site is an oasis for those who have questions or issues where we can either assist or point in the right direction.

No other outboard company has this type of personal help website for information or communication for their customers.

Skipper

I agree with what BluewaterBill said. 

When the motors are running and performing like they are advertised, they are a beast. 

I was fishing the Redfish tours when I bought my boat and before I did, I would ask other competitors and professional guides for their input on what they would buy if they were buying their personal boat.  At the time, the E-tec was the favorite with Yamaha right behind.

Before I was born, my father sold Evinrudes and so I had a loyal spot in my heart for them.

Now, I have relatives with Yamahas with over 5000 hours and that is what I expected out of Evinrude.

We will see if the loyalty goes both ways.

Admiral

Roach,

We are very sorry to hear of your existing problems and hope they are resolved very soon. With a factory rep coming to check your engine out, there is not much more we can offer here, but would be very interested in what the rep finds and corrects.

Most of the time, repeated problems seem to be boat related, mostly from the fuel systems.

By the way, there are documented reports of Evinrude E-TEC outboards in excess of 6000 operating hours and some in the 7000 range.