Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

New Evinrude engine shutting down randomly - and it also whistles when turned on

Model: e200LHAG
Serial: 05438527

I bought a 2016 Montego Bay Pontoon boat that came out of factory with the Evinrude G2 200 HP HO engine. It was their model boat (on their marketing materials) and had 20 hours. When I first used it, there was some fuel code and the dealer replaced the fuel pump. However the noise is still there. It also randomly shuts down at speed. I had it at 3000 rpm and just shut down with no codes. Then I was going 1000 rpm in no wake zone and it turned off twice. It turns right back on. It never shut down above 4000 RPM.

Here is the noise it makes when you first turn it on. 

Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/Z29o7EOXfhI

Skipper

Re: New Evinrude engine shutting down randomly - and it also whistles when turned on

Want to add a bit more info. Initially when the dealer replaced the Fuel pump, I did get Error Code 137 on it. 

So I wonder if the Fuel pump was fine but the issue is the tank or sending unit? or some pressure issue in the tank? 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: New Evinrude engine shutting down randomly - and it also whistles when turned on

[ Edited ]

Code 137 is a low fuel level inside the vapor separator tank.  That is often caused by air leaks in the boat's fuel system, a restriction, or possibly a lift pump problem.

Your dealer should perform the air bubble test with a length of clear fuel line and with a vacuum gauge to check for restrictions.  Adequate fuel supply has to be determined before testing pump output pressure.  The dealer should also confirm that any applicable service bulletins and software updates have been complied with.

If your dealer has difficulty finding the problem, the tech can take advantage of Evinrude' s dealer support team that will assist with troubleshooting and instructional help.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Any idea on what that noise could be in the video I have in the original post? Thank you for taking time to reply to me!

Admiral

We cannot make an accurate diagnosis by watching a video, sorry.  Your dealer would be best qualified to troubleshoot your motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Dealer could not figure out why the noise is happening and now they asked BRP to come to them and look at it. Hoping to have the boat by labor day!

Mate

My 2016 Evinrude G2 200 H.O also randomly shut off with the same code (no whistling). It only had 12.7 hours on it when it quit, after several restarts (which it also quit shortly there after) it wouldnt start at all.  I took it to my dealer and found out the motor was behind or in need of 12 updates . Got my boat back Wednesday this past week.  Seems to have fixed the problem so far, though I havent personally went out as of yet, due to weather. I use Star Tron, Lucas Fuel Treatment, and Stabil all together. Might be overkill, but it helps to eliminate fuel problems as well as I keep a full tank minimizing airspace for condensation and water accumulation during idle periods of non use. I initially thought actual fuel problems as the boat had sat close to 4 months. It wasnt the fuel.

All in all my dealer has told me to at least once a month, check online for new updates (reason I joined E-Nation today). So thats what Im here doing as we speak, maybe someone in the know could post latest update by date and or update number---IE.... 1.7 etc....

Admiral

[ Edited ]

2016G2200HO wrote:

My 2016 Evinrude G2 200 H.O also randomly shut off with the same code (no whistling). It only had 12.7 hours on it when it quit, after several restarts (which it also quit shortly there after) it wouldnt start at all. 

I use Star Tron, Lucas Fuel Treatment, and Stabil all together. Might be overkill, but it helps to eliminate fuel problems as well as I keep a full tank minimizing airspace for condensation and water accumulation during idle periods of non use.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If your motor is shutting down with a code 137, that means it is not receiving enough fuel to keep running. It could be a possible weak lift pump but more likely a problem within the boat's plumbing or with the tank venting system.

Your tech can easily troubleshoot with a fuel pressure gauge, a laptop, and a vacuum gauge with clear hose attached to the fuel pump inlet fitting then water test by running the engine at all speeds.

Quit doping up your fuel like that. It could be possible that all those additives contribute to a vapor-lock type of condition which can give the same symptoms that you described. None of those additives are recommended or approved by Evinrude.  You are doing the right thing by keeping the tank full.