Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

No oil light and alarm 2016 150 ETEC

I am experiencing repetitive no oil light and alarm with a 2016 150hp ETEC with less than 15 hours running time. My first experience, oil resevoir was 1/4 full. I followed directions in owner's manual, topped off oil resevoir. Next opportunity, I ran @ 45mph approximately 3 miles with no problems. Once I restarted to move, no oil light and alarm came on wtih a full oil resevoir. Never cleared, idled @1200rpm back to boat ramp the 3 miles in 95 temp. Needless to say, I am not real happy that a $20K motor is experiencing problems with as little operating time that this motor has, unbelievable....

Admiral

Re: No oil light and alarm 2016 150 ETEC

Rodney,

I'm sorry to hear of your experiences with your new Evinrude. That is not a normal occurance to have NO OIL warnings.  It is very possible that some air may not have been completely purged from the oil lines, oil primer bulb, oil pump, and pressure sensor when the motor was installed. Should that be the case, it is a very quick and easy fix by a trained technician.

Please contact your dealer. The factory recently added a new procedure to more thoroughly eliminate any trapped air from the pressure sensor area in the pump.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I'll mention that when I take it back to the dealership. I sit down with them this morning to make them aware of how unhappy I was that I'm having this problem so soon after purchasing this boat... It began when the resevior went 1/4 full. Topping the resevoir makes no difference...

Admiral

You may want to ask that a technician and/or a dealer manager accompany you on a water test of the boat after repairs are performed.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Dealer run diagnostics indicating 'oil pressure feedback not detected' 16 times on this motor with only 8.4 operating hours... Go figure ...

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Ask the technician to bleed the oil system from scratch while holding the oil primer ball vertical with the arrow pointed up and the oil line disconnected from the motor, the same as one would do as when installing a new motor on a boat.  Continuing to  purge the system and the oil injector per the pre-delivery and installation manual procedure and then the sensor  per service bulletin 2016-04(S) should eliminate any trapped air which could give erroneous no-oil warnings.

An extended on-water test run would indicate if everything is working as it should or if further troubleshooting is required.

Skipper

Am I glad I signed on to this blog, I'll do exactly that. It has to be non-mechanical and all the dealership wants to do is throw parts @ it ...

I contacted BRP to open a ticket on this motor since it has so few operating hours. I feel its their responsibilty to at least listen to customer feedback especially on an issue such as this... I'd rather be FISHING!

Admiral

[ Edited ]

It is still possible that there is a mechanical problem such as with the oil injector or the pressure sensor, but first the oil system has to be completely free of any trapped air bubbles before the troubleshooting and testing begin.

Skipper

It states clearly in the operator's manual, its the dealership's responsibilty to ensure the oil system is free and clear of air using the Evinrude Diagnostic Software. I'll note the service bulletin for their review and ensure they are aware of it ...

I do appreciate your input. I'll keep you abreast of the progress, if any, the dealership and BRP may make ... I just know that having a NEW $50K boat sitting in my yard that won't run leaves a little to be desired ...

Admiral

rodneywmorrow wrote:

I'll note the service bulletin for their review and ensure they are aware of it ...

I know that some mechanics may take it personally if a customer suggests to them how to do a job, and others may welcome learning different approaches to solving a problem, so be diplomatic when talking to the service personnel. Be sure to mention not only the service bulletin but that it is a good idea to hold the oil primer bulb vertical - arrow facing up - while purging the oil system. That is not in any of the books but is practiced by techs in the know.