Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Not happy with new-to-me 2010 E-TEC 25hp stalling

I bought this motor from a dealer in February. By the time I could get to their shop, the mechanic was gone for the day so they couldn't fire it up, but they assured me it ran fine with only 76 hours on it. I know, I know, buyer beware. The dealer had good ratings online, and it was a fantastic deal in my opinion. I brought the motor to my folks place and stuck it in a barrel in their heated shop. It fired right up and went in gear. Ran it for 5 minutes, no problem. Figured all was right with the world. It stayed in the shop until last weekend.

Fast forward to May 7, I get the boat out to the lake for its first run. Motor fired right up, putted out of the no-wake, and cranked right up on plane. Ran at about 75% throttle for 10 minutes or so before I brought it back down to idle. I was testing the idle up/down feature when the motor just stalled out. I pulled the recoil and it didn't take. I checked the primer bulb, had pressure so I figured it was sucking fuel. Tried to pull it again and still nothing. After 15 minutes of me pulling the starter once every minute, it finally started again. Except this time it was in safe-mode. I made a beeline for shore and hoped it would get me there. No such luck. It died halfway there, about 5 minutes. Wouldn't start again until I got it back to the shop.

This last weekend I tried again. I did some reading and checked some forums, heard stories about an issue with oil delivery after transporting laid-down, issues with fuel pickups, etc and so on. Before I left, I stuck the motor back in the barrel and fogged the motor to prime the oil system, then fired it up again. Again it ran well while at the house. I stuck it in gear and let it idle for 15 minutes in the barrel, waiting to see if it would stall again. Ran good the whole time. Got the boat to the lake, launched, started, ran good for 15-20 minutes. The wind started to pick up so I decided to park the boat at my folks place on the lake. 

Then yesterday I fired the boat up, took it for a quick 5 minute run to see if it would act up again and all went well. I pulled back up to the dock, got the wife and kids on board, backed out from the dock and had just stuck it in forward when it stalled again. This time, every time I pulled the recoil, the motor would idle 2-3 seconds before dying. Nothing I could do would get it to run longer than that. I called it quits after 10 minutes and used the trolling motor to get back to the dock.

It's going to be a couple weeks until I can get the motor into a different dealer to have it looked over, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out exactly what is going on. I've checked the entire fuel system. The fuel line from the tank to the motor is brand new, and I checked the pickup in the tank for leaks and found none. I'm going to be buying a new fuel tank this week (wanted a new one anyway) and see if that helps.

I'm really starting to miss a good ol' carb! At least I could troubleshoot that on my own. If I can't get this motor figured out, I'll be selling it for whatever I can get and sending my old 30hp Evinrude in for a rebuild. Really disappointed so far.

Admiral

Re: Not happy with new-to-me 2010 E-TEC 25hp stalling

We are sorry to hear of your experiences.  A thorough technician would water test, not in a tank, the engine along with pressure and vacuum gauges hooked up along with the laptop using the "flight recorder" feature, then try to duplicate the stalling. Depending on the model number there may also be a software update that could help.

Talk to your service manager and the dealership owner if needed to resolve the problem you are having with the motor, as it is not normal. If you cannot get satisfaction, contact Evinrude After Sales Support with the engine serial number.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply, Bill.

I will not be going back to the dealer I bought it from, as I figure they're either incompetent in regards to engine testing or flat-out lied to me about the engines condition. I found an Evinrude Certified Technician near me that I'll be taking the engine to for a thorough diagnostic.

Admiral

Keep us posted.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I wish folks would report back after getting dealer service after problems like this. I have a 2011 Etec 25 in the shop right as I type this with a run and stall issue. When I phoned today, they had replaced some items and had it in the tank. I'll deffinately post what I find as it can't get too technical for me. I have serious concerns about owning this motor into old age. I have only put a single gallon of XD100 through it. Not looking too good.
Skipper

I haven't replied because it's not fixed yet. I contacted the dealer nearest me, but they're a ways out right now so it likely won't be fixed until August. I will definitely be updating as updates become available, though.

Skipper

August....that sucks. Hopefully I'll have something to say later tonight.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Fuel pump and vapor separator assembly replaced under warranty at 54 hours of run time. Dealer recomended year round use of StaBil. The replacement pump is the same part number as the original....so it could be a persistent issue. I also bought a set of muffs to safely idle the motor in the off season. Hope this helps somebody else.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-5007896.html

Admiral

Did the electric pump corrode internally or was the inlet filter clogged and the pump overheated?

Both of those conditions often show up in motors that have little time running on them or stored without fuel conditioner to protect the pump's steel precision parts.

Skipper

Best I could understand, the pressure was fluctuating or the pump RPM wasn't consistent. I should have asked to keep the original pump so I could open it up and see if there was any varnish or other corrosion issues internally. Since it was covered by BEST....I wasn't going to ask. Can't say enough about the warranty on this motor. Sad to see it run out in the next year with the problems I had this year. Just not feeling warm and fuzzy about long term ownership with the ETEC system.

From today forward, I'll just add  to every tank the correct amount of StaBil to a fresh tank. If I still have fuel at the end of the season, I'll empty the tank into the truck.Also, with fresh fuel I'll give it some idle time with the water muffs. Sitting might be worse for this system than hard use. The long term reliability depends on me the owner.....and I'll use StaBil.

StaBil.jpg