Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Andystoy

Prop selection for 2012 300 Etec

Ordered a 2012 Manitou 24' Encore pro angler boat SHP with a 300  HP Etec, researched props and two options seem to come up 15 1/2 x 17" Rebel and 14 3/4 x 19" Viper. The 300 HP Etec will be at just over 2000' elevation so I expect it to perform similar to the 250 HO at sealevel. The dealer will give me either prop but I will buy a spare prop so I am looking for first and second recommendations. Delivery will be in January and testing in May. Boat and motor will be about 3800 lbs dry, expected use 75% cruising slow and fishing, 20% tubing and skiing, 5% WOT as required to keep up with the competition. Humidity is much lower and usual temperatures are 20-25C with occasional 30C. No pics or SN yet but anticipation is at 100%, only one other 300HP delivered in our area, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Prop selection for 2012 300 Etec

Try the Rebel first, and you may even need the 19" version if the motor is mounted high enough and you trim it out. On a pontoon boat you want to prop it at or near the top rated rpm with one or two people in the boat. That way there is enough power and rpm when you add 12 more people and coolers along with a full gas tank.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
Andystoy

Thanks, I'll start with the 17" Rebel and if it revs too high with light load, I can buy the 19" for my second prop and use it for the lightly loaded days and switch to the 17" when I have almost a full load, thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

6000 rpm is the top rpm limit for your motor with a light load so anything around 5800-6000 is in the ballpark with one or 2 people.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.