Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

REPOWERING

Hello there,

I am new on here. living in Europe Belgium. I am repowering my RIB with a 2017 150E-tec HO G1 with the ICON pro gauges included. Total hours 115.

I need to replace three small Suzuki gauges in my dash.

these were: fuel tank, trim, voltage. 

What do you think are the most useful replacement gauges....i was told  to install  a water pressure gauge but it seems the sensor for this is 270eur? is that useful or not?

all recommendations and/or suggestions are welcome. I drive this boat in the Channel between UK and mainland Europe as well as in the Mediterrean.  I am most of the time, alone. So, hopefully the Evinrude will not let me down. the Suzuki was fine but a 140hp (2008) had not enough power raching 36knots.  I hope to gain a couple of knots and more important a lot more torque and lower rpms at cruising speed around 25 a 27 knots.

if you have a propellor suggestion (altough I will test some) please do.  The RIB is 6.5m long and 2.45 wide and weighs around 900kg without engine.

thanks for the advice anyway.

Michel

Admiral

Re: REPOWERING

You may want to consider the ICON Pro gauge series. It has the traditonal gauge look on the tachometer but also has a digital display screen for extensive amounts of engine and boat information. You can also daisy-chain additional 2" gauges to it for quick readings of common items.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories/76...

A water pressure gauge is an option and a recommended one. It can also be used for troubleshooting, trimming the motor, and for rigging for the best transom mounting height.

Work with your dealer for the best all around propeller. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hey Thanks,

in what way can the water pressure gauge be used as a trouble shooter ? does it more than just indicating the water pressure? what is the psi range a 150ho g1 engine needs to be in please?

Captain

The engine water pressure gauge is like a humans blood pressure meter. You know what the pressure should be in various situations and if you find that it starts to change you know to start investigating. For instance if the pressure starts to read lower than previously in the same situation, your impeller may be failing or you picked up a plastic bag or whatever. I strongly recommend getting one.

Admiral

You can monitor the water pressure and know when the pump wears as the pressure decreases over time. Also if you have an overheating problem, the gauge will indicate if there is sufficient water pressure in the block which would mean that some other item is the cause for the motor getting hot.

You can use it to find the maximum engine height and trim height by watching the gauge.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

My opinion is to have fuel, trim, and water pressure gauge. Battery volts is easily readable on the IconPro tach but it's not something you need to watch all the time. An affordable option is to install a mechanical water pressure gauge instead of the networked gauge with sender unit.
A lot of my customers see no need for a trim gauge saying they can see the motor position and feel the trim. I run my boat 500 hours a year and rely on my trim gauge for quick and easy trim setting for various speeds.
Captain

[ Edited ]

I'm amazed at how many boats no longer come with a trim gauge. A friend of mine got into boating last year and bought a boat that cost close to $40K (outboard). I was explaining trim and stuff and told him to keep an eye on his trim gauge.

It turned out he didn't have one, so he got one installed along with water pressure. It was strange to me to see a boat in that price range that comes without a trim gauge.