Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
WAXMAN

RPS ON A 90 HP 2011 MOTOR.

I have a 2010 Alumacraft 165 Navigator with a 2011 90 hp E-tec motor.

With my wife,myself,fishing gear, trolling motor , we are able to get 36mph at 3600 rpmsWOT.

My question is , Is this about normal for this boat? I forgot to mention, I have a alum.17pitch prop.

I am completely new to boating . If more info is needed please let me know.  I think we have 10hrs on motor.not completely sure.

Thanks for any help from this rookie.

WAXMAN.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: RPS ON A 90 HP 2011 MOTOR.

Your numbers do not jive. Your tach is wrong, you may have a typo, or perhaps both as your top rpm would be more than 3600 rpm at full speed. I suggest that you talk with a technician and/or someone familiar with your rig at your dealer about the rpms, speed, and overall performance.

For a rough comparison, here is a link to a  factory boat performance test with a 75hp on a 165 Navigator. A stainless steel propeller will always outperform an aluminum prop.

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE501.pdf

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
WAXMAN

I did make a mistake the rpm's  are 4600. at 36mph.sorry!

Is a ss prop better then a aluminum? I know they sure cost alot $450.00.

Thanks for any help.

WAXMAN.

Please use plain text.
Skipper
rudetech1

The best performance will be around 5300 rpm at wide open. The engine will get great fuel economy and perform to spec at this rpm.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

[ Edited ]

4600 is still not correct, if you are getting 36mph at wide open throttle. See your dealer and have him go for a ride with you using his laptop to test the accuracy of your tachometer. Your motor should have a top rpm between 5000 and 5500rpm with around 5200 or so being ideal with an average load.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
Johnnielund

I have a 2007 Lund Explorer tiller model with a 75 E-TEC.  I'm rigged on the third hole and have it proped with a 13.25" x 15" BRP Rogue prop.  I'm getting 5300 RPM @ WOT and 38 MPH on the GPS.  You need to get your RPM up to 5200.  I'd suggest a Rogue prop.   Good luck and enjoy your E-TEC!

Jim

Please use plain text.