Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Revs not working on the rev counter/ tachometer?! 90HP etec

[ Edited ]

The 4 service lights on it work (No oil, hot, check engine, no oil etc), but no sign of the revs moving. Worked fine last year, but nothing since the winter and it being serviced at an authorised dealer who plugged into their system etc.

Perhaps the service was a coincidence?!

Tried tapping/ leaving indoors etc to dry out. Checked all the various wires/ connectors etc but can't see anything loose or out of place. 

Is there anything on the engine end to check specifically?

Anyway, is there anyway I can test the 8 pin plug that goes into the back of it with a multimeter? If so, which pins and what should I expect from each?!

It's not a digital rev counter by the way - has a mechanical arm.

Cheers

Stuart

Skipper

Re: Revs not working on the rev counter?! Testing?

IMG_7060.jpg

Photo 10-06-2017, 10 16 57.jpg

A few photos, appreciate anyones help!

Photo 10-06-2017, 10 16 57.jpg

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The quickest way to test the gauge is to temporarily plug in a known good gauge. That would tell you right away if it is a gauge or wiring issue.

Actuate the 5 and 6 pole PUL / REV adjustment back and forth in case there is a bit of corrosion on a contact. The final setting should be on 6.

A dealer can hook up his or her laptop and see if the engine is generating a tachometer signal and an ohmmeter can be used to check the wiring from the EMM to the guage connector to make sure it is continuous. Since the lights work, the gauge has the required power and ground circuits operational.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Thanks for that - can't seem to find a gauge to switch it with unfortunately. 

Good plan on the 5 and 6 pole - will try that. Sadly i'm not with the boat for a few weeks now so might be a while before I can revert back with results... just trying to come up with a list of things to try!

Out of interest, is anything disconnected when they plug in their laptop or do they plug into a blank port? I wonder if they can of distrubed something during the service?

Cheers

Stuart 

Highlighted
Admiral

If you want to check,  unplug and re-plug in the two 6 -pin connectors at the engine where the boat harness attaches. Look for a bent, broken, or deformed pin on the gray wire in one of the 6-pin connectors as that is the tach signal.  It is in the connector with the 4 brown or tan wires.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Great, least I know what I am looking for now - thank you.

Do they have to unplug something when they attach their computer or is it just a cap on it anyway?

Admiral

The laptop access point is a special triangular plug, 3 wires, red, black, white.

Skipper

Thanks for all the replies.

I have tried everything suggested and still no luck. I suspect the guage is faulty...

Checking the voltage on the grey wire shows an increase in volts when the revs are increased but I was unable to measure in the required hertz...

Don't remember what the reading was unfortunately but it did increase as the revs did.

Any more suggestions?

Finally, am I stuck with using the guage only going forward?

thanks

Stuart

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Unless you have a trained technician check over and troubleshoot your engine, your only DIY recourse is to find or borrow a known good gauge and temporarily plug it in to check the results.

If you have the oil metering system, sometimes called a VRO, installed and operational, disconnect the 4-wire connector from it and retry. In very rare instances, faulty electronics inside the No-oil alarm circuitry can affect the tach signal

Captain

do you have a marine surplus store near you?

we have one in bradenton, fl and they have TONS of these gauges. That and ebay will be a cheap way to get a test gauge/tach