Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Skeg badly dented

Hello, I have a 2017 60hp E-tec that I have used maybe 10x these last few months. It works great but unfortunately on my last outing yesterday I hit a rock rather badly. It continued to run fine as I went the 3 miles or so back to the dock. As I got it on the trailer and visually inspected it I could see it put a few deep dings in the skeg along with bending 2 of the blade tips on my prop. I am not sure if I should try to grind down the edges to smooth out the skeg or not. I obviously will be bringing the prop in to be straightened out. Any ideas?? I should have taken pics of it and may run to my storage today and get some still. 

Captain

Re: Skeg badly dented

You may want to check the run out on your propshaft.

Admiral

Maximum total indicated runout on the propshaft is .005".

Also remove the lower panels and retorque the powerhead bolts along with the gearcase bolts.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks will be taking to the dealer I purchased it from and have them inspect it.

Thanks again. I dont know anything about runout but guess I will be learning.