Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Spark Plug Indexing Error by Dealer??

Hello 

I recently took out my boat to get her ready for a fishing trip in the near future. I have been running my boat once or twice a month on muffs to make sure she is working properly. Well yesterday I noticed the famous " oil leak behind the prop" and a small oil stain on the shop floor. I checked my gear oil which was like new, took off the prop to inspect the seal to the prop shaft which was NOT leaking, etc and it was all ok. I noticed that the dark oil was coming from the exhaust part of the prop. Im guessing this is due to carbon and or oil/gas not burning off completely? Keep in mind that I run XD100 since I bought the boat/motor new. Also keep in mind that i have not ran the motor in water at high rpms. I have only been able to run the motor at idle on muffs for 20 minutes at a time. 

Now after seeing this oil leak, I looked around the engine for anything out of the ordinary. What I found to be odd was I noticed that my spark plug indexing marker line on all the spark plugs were ALL FACING AWAY from the injectors!!!! All the info I have read and searched for about spark plug indexing show the mark indexing FACING TOWARDS the injectors so that the spark plug open gap faces the pin inside the cylinder head for proper combustion. 

Can someone please tell me if I am correct and that the spark plugs could have been put backwards???? I have not taken out a spark plug to check BUT I cannot believe a Cert. Tech could have done this. People make mistakes but all 6 spark plugs???My motor was just worked on last June and I had the 100 hr service done to it, spark plugs, gear oil, thermostats, etc...

Can someone please tell me if im on the right track and need to check the spark plugs to see if the were indext backwards causing poor fuel/oil burn off.....

Thank you for your coments and help....... 

A. P. 

E150DSLSEA

Admiral

Re: Spark Plug Indexing Error by Dealer??

Your residue  is probably from your starting the motor on the flusher multiple times. More oil is injected at every start up, while the engine is warming up, and the exhaust temperature is not enough to combust it all completely.

I have also seen mechanics mark the plugs backwards for some reason, and they insist it is easier for them that way. Remove one plug a a time to see if the marks line up with the electrode gap opening, and correct if needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you....
Skipper

Took off the #1 spark plug. The mark placed on the spark plug WAS placed on the OPEN side of the electrode...... thus the spark plug was facing away from the pin/injector.
Admiral

You might want to have a conversation with the dealer and the tech. If all 6 are reversed, just swap them to the opposite bank and they should index within the normal 180 degree range OK or have the dealer correct things.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks bluewaterBill. I did just that. I swaped them to the opposite bank and they all indexed like a champ! Motor ran a lot better.
Admiral

glad to hear that it was a quick easy fix

Skipper

Yes it was. Thank you for your tips and help. You made things easier for me to confirm proper procedures and knowing what to look for. Thanks Again!!!
Admiral

Always glad to assist. Now go out there and enjoy the water.

Mate

How do iknow where the green zone is for spark plug indexing on E-tec 135 hp?

Thanks 

Mark1