Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Starts and runs for five seconds then dies

Starts and runs for five seconds then dies
Skipper

Re: Starts and runs for five seconds then dies

1996 Evinrude 200 Ocean Pro just change power Pack
And the motor now start but only runs for five seconds tried priming the ball why running still dies
Admiral

Did this just start happening after replacing the power pack or did you replace the pack trying to fix the start and stall?

Can you give us more details and the history of the motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

The motor is a 1995 Evinrude 200 i've had it for four years only had to put spark plugs and fuel in it and it was out last weekend and motor just died no spark so I listen to somebody bought a new power pack that's when it would start and run for a few seconds and die I followed the troubleshooting guide disconnected the black and yellow wires stop Circuit I think and it stays running but will not shut off replace keyswitch still same symptoms if I plug the black and white yellow wires and it starts and stops if I disconnect them The motor runs
Admiral

That extra detail helps a lot.

If the motor acts up with the black-yellow wire connected but runs fine when disconnected, it sounds like there is a short to ground in that wire.

When the key is turned to OFF or the safety lanyard is pulled, the black-yellow carrying the CD ignition voltage is grounded and the motor stops.  In your case there may be a resistance reading to ground as it does not prevent the motor from starting.

Disconnect the Bl-Yl wire at the pack and at the key switch and use a quality meter set to high-ohms at one end and connect the other meter lead to the engine block for a ground contact. If there is any resistance reading, trace the length of wire to find the corroded spot or chafed area causing the problem. In some cases you may have to replace the wiring harness either in the boat or on the engine.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

OK did the test with the key off I get resistance with the key on none
Admiral

If the engine works with wiring disconnected, then there is a path to ground somewhere. You may need a tester called a megger to check the bl-yl wire as it carries around 350 volts or hgher at times.

Skipper

Just talk to CDI PowerPak manufacture they told me to send the powerpack to them for testing just dropped it off at the post office they should get it Thursday will update you on what they said
Skipper

Something just didn't seem right it will now start with the black and yellow wire plugged in but will not shut off that's when I called CDI