Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Stator failed on E-Tec 250 HP 2005

Stator burn
I have an outboard 2005 E-tec 250 HP. The stator burned. Last 2 years my mechanic installed an auxiliary 25 HP motor and connected it from 250 HP and used it as a battery port. Could it damage my stator ? someone told me that this should not be plugged in because it does not have the same voltage and could caused damages to electric system ...
Admiral

Re: Stator failed on E-Tec 250 HP 2005

Hi,

We are happy to assist but we need some more information from you.

Stator problems are pretty rare unless they were splashed with seawater from a leak or salt spray ingestion while running.  What went bad with the stator and what were the symptoms ?

Can you elaborate with more detail and possibly a wiring diagram (hand written is fine) of your statement "my mechanic installed an auxiliary 25 HP motor and connected it from 250 HP and used it as a battery port."

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Mate

Re: Stator failed on E-Tec 250 HP 2005

I fish in fresh water only, the problem is not salt water. I had several check engine on this engine and diagnosis and eventually the engine stopped booting. the stator became very hot as there was a burning scent. When I removed the fly wheel 3 magnets were peeled off.

Regarding the connection of the auxiliary motor, I can not tell you how it was connected, all the wires of the 25 hp enter the 250 hp and uses the same battery. A technician let me know that this connection was the cause of the breakage of my stator. Did the magnets loose from the fly wheel cause the stator to break? Where does the fact that the stator has become extremely hot this has made the magnets devolved? What is your opinion about this?