Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Snowfish

System Check Tachometer harness?

Last year I purchased a boat with a 2005 Etec 90/65 Jet Model # E65JDPLSOS.  It has the tiller handle kit #5007125 and the tiller wiring harness #586934.  I would like to install the system check tachometer # 0176309.  Is this gauge compatible with the 2005 Etec? 

The tiller wiring harness has a 6 pin connector for system check at the tiller arm, but most of the System check tachs have the 8 pin.  The 6 pin appears to have the 4 tan warning light wires, gray tach wire, and black ground wire.  It appears that I need to capture the purple switched power somewhere.  Does Evinrude make a harness for this setup? 

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: System Check Tachometer harness?

You need to purchase a standard MWS boat wiring harness and it will connect inside the tiller arm and route it to the console where an 8-pin connector will plug into your SystemCheck tach and the 2-wire connector will plug into the warning horn. Your dealer should have those items in stock or can easily order them for you. The tiller kit instruction booklet shows how to install the optional MWS cable inside the tiller arm.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.