Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
CoastalGuy

Use of 2+4 and fuel system cleaner

My new 2011  30hp E-Tec runs great and I want to keep it that way,. Two questions   Can I use up the Older formula

2+4 I have on hand  (1) bottle of the original formula and (1) that says " treats ethanol fuel " both are brown colored liquid

in white bottles purchased this year and I'm using it at the recommended storage mixture with Shell 87 octane E-10 and

at the operational mixture during the boating season. I keep the tank full of treated fuel during the winter with just an inch

or so to allow for expansion. Second question is it necessary to use BRP fuel system cleaner to keep the injectors clean as per the manual?  I use strictly Shell 87 fuel  which has injector detergent already in it but I want to keep my injectors

trouble free without overdoing it on additives. Because I don't live near big water I don't get to use the boat as much as I'd like but love every bit of it when I do 16hrs on the engine this first year.

Thank you   Coastalguy

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Use of 2+4 and fuel system cleaner

go ahead and use up your 2+4, be sure to mix it for the storage ratio.

Injector cleaner is not normally needed on E-TEC engines that are used often, well maintained, and that use the X-50 or XD-100 oil

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Captain
CoastalGuy

Thanks for the quick reply. I do use XD-100 and have left  the outboard set at the factory TCW-3 setting,

still does not use much oil and I don't feel the cost savings would be enough at the XD-100 setting to justify

changing it .

Please use plain text.
Mate
Evinrude_Fan

THANKS BlueWater Bill. Great advice.

Please use plain text.
Mate
Evinrude_Fan

boat7.jpg

Check out my new engine.