Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
edbermuda

Use of XD50 or XD100 differences

I forgot my previous question.

What differences will I have on use of XD50 and XD100, (correctly set computer), besides obviously price, on the following:

1- Fuel consumption

2- Oil consumption

3- Maintnance, service frequency, carbon pileup, etc

4- Engine life expectancy at nomal sport fishing use on large lakes.

5- Lubricating efficiency of each oil.

Any differences worth commenting.

Thanyou,

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Use of XD50 or XD100 differences

As a rule of thumb, you will have less carbon buildup internally using the synthetic XD-100 oil and it also is a higher quality oil for less wear and tear on your motor. It will probably not affect fuel use, though. With the motor set to the XD-100 oil setting, you will use less oil than at the TC-W3 programming. Oil use is computer controlled and dependent on how you run your motor - high speeds, more oil - hard accelerations, more oil - lots of trolling or slow speeds, much less oil burned.

The XD-100 has better lubricity as it can be used at a reduced rate. As for engine life, I see 2000 hr. and up E-TECs using both oils.

The factory suggests using XD-100 at the TC-W3 setting if used commercially, for high performance, or heavy duty use such as pushing barges, etc.

The choice is yours.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.