Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Water in power head

Just purchased a pair of 2007 250 etecs with 550 hours, after 10hours of use one of the piston rods broke. The dealer claims water got into the power head from flushing motor in a semi tilted position causing the engine to fail. Keeping the boat in the water i have always flushed my yamahas this way with no problem. You would think there would be a giant warning label in the area of the flushing port or in the manuel. Anyone out there have this problem , I cant believe this happen after spending so much money on these outboards
Admiral

Re: Water in power head

Hydrolocking of the engine is very rare but it could happen. Was there evindence of water in the cylinder and was the rod bent, or just broken?

A 2007 Evinrude E-TEC operators guide on page 36 says to have the engine in a vertical position.

FLUSHING
If desired, the outboard can be flushed after
each use on a trailer or at dockside while it is
vertical.
1) Place the outboard in an area with good
drainage.
2) Connect garden hose to flushing port.
3) Turn on the water. It is not necessary to
run the engine for a good flushing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Rod was bent and broken water was in air box not sure about cylinder head
Highlighted
Skipper

Funny mentioning the manuel because threre is no warning of possible damage but in the newer manuel's there's a gaint warnig sign
Skipper

Hydolocking should have happened when i started the boat not 5 miles from marina. And both motors were fluhed the same way why only one damaged
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Tunafish45 wrote:
Hydolocking should have happened when i started the boat not 5 miles from marina. And both motors were fluhed the same way why only one damaged

Your initial query did not mention that you were 5 miles away. I  assumed that it happened while flushing.

You are correct, any water in the cylinder from improper flushing would not let the motor run for 5 miles.

We can only surmise whether the block or head cracked or a headgasket leaked. Has the motor had previous overheating codes that were displayed in the engine report printout?  Did the motor get swamped from chopping the throttle too quickly? Was the boat in reverse going at hard throttle then either quit or put in neutral while still moving backwards? Did a wave wash over the boat or is the engine and transom very low in the water? Is the pressure relief valve or some other component leaking water while the engine is running?

Only a trained tech with eyes on the motor and the whole rig could discover what happened. It would not hurt to send an email to   
http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for your reply. The only thing i can think of is i came back from fishing in a major rain storm wot could water get in air box this way. Motor did over heat the fist day i had it due to a fuel cooling coil being clogged dealer fixed and i ran for about 6 hours before engine failed
Skipper

Does anyone have a name and a phone # for a person at BRP that might help me out. I am finding it hard to believe i have a blown egine because of flushing. If this is the way the product was built why wouldn't there be a warning on the engine or in the manuel. I did notice BRP changed the manuel for the newer motors it warns owners not to flush in tilt position this may cause damage
Admiral

send the serial number, dealer name, and the history to  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Skipper

Is it possible for water to get in power head from the air box if the air box filled with water while under power?