Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
ladyofthelake

What year is my old Evinrude??

Bought a boat w/an old Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 on it a few years ago.  I LOVE my old motor and maintain it myself.  Still runs like a scalded dog!!  Just wish I knew what year it is.  The serial number is 5514-11260.  Thanks to anyone who can give me some info on my oldie!!~

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: What year is my old Evinrude??

[ Edited ]

Your motor is a 1957 and those 5.5hp motors are great little fishing engines. They are smooth and quiet.

With today's gasoline with ethanol in it can affect the rubber fuel lines on the tank and on the motor. Keep a close eye on them and replace any that show signs of cracking, swelling, or becoming brittle.

That motor needs to have a fuel-oil mixture of 24-1 to protect the brass bushings inside of it. That equates to 1 quart of TC-W3 outboard lubricant (Evinrude oil preferred) to 6 gallons of gas.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
texashunter46

you can call evunrude corp or take the motor to an evinrude dealer or mechanic and they can tell you. These motors were made i believe between late 1960's to the mid 1970's

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

The 5.5hp outboard came out as a Johnson in 1954 and as an Evinrude in 1956. They were built until 1964. They evolved into a 6hp model in '65.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
evinruderacer

Cool I own 27 evinrude Johnson engines from 1927 to 2000
Please use plain text.