Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
wbwjr
Accepted Solution

Winterizing 30hp E-TEC - Will not shut off after 1-2 minutes

I have a side mount control and have followed the procedure of lifting the fast idle lever and letting the engine run for 15 seconds, then lower the lever for 15 seconds and then raise it and let the engine idle.  The problem I have is that the engine will not shut off within the allotted time of 1-2 minutes.  Am I missing something? 

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Winterizing 30hp E-TEC - Will not shut off after 1-2 minutes

If the motor does not shut off by itself, then the winterizing sequence is not activated. It is possible that the control box fast idle lever is not advancing the throttle on the motor far enough. That could be do to improper adjustments or slop in the cable. Make sure you lift the fast idle lever as high as it will go, and if that does not work, see your dealer.

Don't forget to follow the winterizing procedure in your owners manual to the letter. You can also find  videos of it on www.youtube.com and type in E-TEC winterizing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
Torpeto3

When I bought my 2011 Etec tiller 25 HP last year I had the Dealer walk me through the winterization procedure. After a few failed attempts following the consumer manual, he switched to the technician / dealer manual and was successful. The directions in the consumer manual were not correct (.... or at least easy to get wrong). If you followed the directions exactly based on the speed MARKINGS on the tiller handle (Fast, Middle, Slow) then the winterization would not occur. But if you base the full, middle, slow on the TRAVEL of the tiller handle (all the way Full , Middle of the rotation, all the way Slow) then we were successful. As the only direction in the manual that needs to be done exactly ( and not obvious.... like to go forward place shifter forward) this needs to be clarified for present / future tiller 25Hp owners.
Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

[ Edited ]

You are correct. The throttle has to be a MINIMUM of 1/2 way and if the control box allows it, or with a "hot-foot" control or with a tiller, put the throttle all the way open.

On side mounted controls,  if the throttle cable has too much slack, or is too far out of adjustment, then just lifting the fast idle lever may not be advaanced far enough to start the winterize sequence.

Here is a link to a winterizing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJW0eC6p6g&feature=share&list=PLA5B9DD06D6D30F05

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.