Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

e-tec 25 hp loses power at high rpm

Motor functions fine until high rpms -- then loses power almost totally (goes into limp mode?), but does not shut off. I have to pull the throttle back to zero, and then rev up again. Works for a while, then doesn't. Any help would be much appreciated.

Admiral

Re: e-tec 25 hp loses power at high rpm

How long does it run at high speed until it "loses power almost totally?"  Did this just start and if so, was anything done to the boat or motor shortly before or is there any other information that you can give us?

Are starting, idling, and acceleration OK?  Has the motor ever overheated before?

A model number and serial number would help.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It runs for just a few minutes(3-5 min?). Motor has not really be run like this before, meaning that I haven't been on big enough waters to run for a few minutes at higher speeds. When boat runs at 3/4 plane, it works fine. This only occurs at full plane. Really nothing else to tell.

Starting, Idling, and acceleration seem to be OK -- has not overheated before. Has not been used much till now.  Gas is good.

Model:  E25DTEOMA

Ser: 05327929

Any bulletins or recalls I might have missed?

Skipper

Sorry, there is a typo on the model #. It's E25DTEINA. I checked the motor out on a local river and it worked fine. We are now in northern Manitoba over 1,000 miles from home. The closest dealer is 3 hours away. They can't look at it for 3 days. I will take it to my local dealer when I get home. They are guessing that it is a water pump problem. Possibly a know problem? Thanks for listening, Its just a little disappointing to have problems that put a dent in our trip.

Admiral

Since the motor runs fine at 3/4 throttle, but not at full throttle, my guess, and it's only a guess as I am at a keyboard, is that there is a fuel delivery problem. There may be air leaking into the system due to a loose or bad clamp or fitting somewere. A fuel restriction can also give the same symptom such as debris inside the gas tank getting into the gas pickup tube or screen, kinked hose, etc. Squeeze the primer ball to see if the motor continues to run.

If the motor was overheating such as from a bad pump, the motor would suddenly go into the SAFE mode at 1200 rpm and stay there until the motor cooled down enough.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sorry this is hard to explain. It was running fine when it's at 3/4 the way out of the water. Less the 10mph and not completely planed out. It seems it would be using more fuel and working harder when still plowing water. It only fails when it is up and planeing between 10 to 22mph.

Admiral

Thanks for the more detailed description of the problem.

Now with this additional info, I'll bet that the motor was overheated at one time and the tuned exhaust pipe is damaged or dislodged.  This will affect the midrange and high speeds but not so much the idle.

The gearcase has to be removed and the inner exhaust area has to be inspected. This is a job for a dealer and it should be a covered warranty service unless there are signs of major abuse.  I doubt there will be any evidence of abuse after reading your posts.

There still is a possibility of something else, as it is hard to troubleshoot an engine sitting in front of a computer screen. I feel bad that your trip is affected by this.

Skipper

Thanks for the info Travis, I helps to have someone to vent to!
Skipper

I had this same problem early this summer in Kenora, Ontario with my 2011 Etec 25HP stalling at 3/4 to full speed. I solved the problem with a nylon tie on the fuel tank / hose connection (This was a new tank and hose that came with the motor). There seemed to be a loose connection and the nylon tie brought the hose/tank connection closer together. I think air was getting into the hose. Haven't had any problems since.
Admiral

Torpeto3,

Glait you found the problem. Too many times the motor gets the blame when the problem is caused by something else.