Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
momobis

evinrude 115 ETEC failure without solution

Hi all.

I own an Evinrude ETEC 115 hp since 2007 , for saltwater in the south of France. So far I was very satisfied.

Unfortunately-and of course afer garabtee ending-, this engine has begun to stop without alarm message when running below 1300 rpm after about one minute low speed running. The local Evinrude agent has tried everything he could....but no alarm nor indication on the computer. He tried to chang EMM, spark plugs, cables to sparkplugs, capacitor, he disconnected sensors...strange statement : when disconnecting one cylinder, whatever cylinder it could be, the engine didnt stop anymore ! And more strange, Evinrude tells that such a motor must stop when running with only 3 cylinders !!

Technicians from Evinrude France have not been able to give the correct advice, nor technicians from Evinrude USA, whose answers were not easy to get.

I am very much disappointed from this lack of the constructor, who leaves a poor customer with his problem. Its also a deception for the local agent who had to order spare parts like EMM for trials without success !

If the computer doesnt know....nobody knows !!

Had anyone of yours to deal with such a stange thing ? Thanks a lot.

Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: evinrude 115 ETEC failure without solution

[ Edited ]

two things come to mind after reading your post. Not being there nor running the testing myself makes me offer suggestions for your mechanics to test.

One is to monitor the voltage on the 55volt circuit using a digital meter and looking for any variation just before or at the moment the motor quits. The Evinrude diagnostic program can also record the engine conditions while the motor is running and when it stops.

Another test is of the fuel system and to monitor the fuel pressures and for any air bubbles while the motor is running at ALL speeds and when the motor quits.

To determine if it may be a boat harness or control problem, temporarily hooking up a different control box and cable assembly will determine if the problem is at the motor or not.

There are various things that could make a motor stop suddenly, and troubleshooting is required to find out if it's an electrical or a fuel related situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate
momobis

Thanks

The technician had tols me having changed the cables, the ignition coil, without any sucess.

The Evinrude reporting and monitoring system doesnt detect anything Wrong..

I'll check with the guy if he controlled something related to fuel pressure and possible bubbling

I know he checked also air admission control

JP

Admiral
BluewaterBill

When the motor quits does it start up again instantly or does it crank over for a while before starting?

If it cranks over but does not start, does the tachometer show rpm while cranking ? If not, the crankshaft postion sensor could be at fault as that is one of the few components that will stop a motor quickly if it does not generate a signal to the EMM.

--- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate
momobis

hi BluewaterBill, thanks for reply

The motor starts again without any difficulty.. I have not to wait or do anythink with the crankshaft.

Admiral
BluewaterBill

Perhaps you can contact the European distributor for Evinrude to see if they can provide some type of assistance.

BRP European Distribution SA

Chemin de Messidor 5-7
CH-1006 Lausanne
Switzerland
Tel: +41.21.318.78.00
Fax: + 41.21.318.78.01

--- Travis McGee