Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: i.d. serial number without id plate

Pictures would help.

Get shots of the motor with the cover on so the decals are easily seen.

Remove the cover and get full-frame shots of both sides and front and rear of the powerhead. Be sure the details are in focus and well lit.  It is from certain small parts that the year can be determined. 

This assumes that the motor is original. Sometimes there are mish-mash motors which are assembled from various used parts which makes it like the old Johnny Cash song  " One piece at a time. "

Listen to the stanzas at the 1 minute, 55 second timeline and at the  3 minute, 40 second timeline of the song.  You will see what I mean about mish-mash motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhnV-6lqH8

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Very familiar with that song cd was stuck in my dads pontoon CD player for like 2 years it was either radio or Johnny Cash greatest hits but hell you can't complain with that anyways the motor that I have has been painted everywhere so it's hard to identify what it is but I'm pretty positive the way it looks like an old Johnson or Evinrude I've never been on a forum before so I don't know how to upload pictures so I just uploaded them to my profile these are the only 2 i had on my phone but I will take more this evening and again bill Thanks

Skipper

Screenshot_2016-03-07-09-15-57.pngScreenshot_2016-03-07-09-17-57.pngi figured it out haha but I will get some more photos tonight

Skipper

IMG_20160307_161947.jpgIMG_20160307_161947.jpgIMG_20160307_162022.jpgIMG_20160307_162123.jpgIMG_20160307_162140.jpgIMG_20160307_162202.jpgIMG_20160307_162230.jpgIMG_20160307_162251.jpgIMG_20160307_162518.jpgIMG_20160307_162345.jpg

Skipper

I hope that was the pictures that you wanted oh and I found this picture so it's not an Evinrude but it's a johnson 25 horse20160307_175502.jpg

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the images, they helped to narrow down your motor.

The under flywheel ignition ( UFI ) shown was used from 1987 through 1992

The powerhead was replaced at one time (probably under warranty) as evidenced by the letter R in the silver disc

The 20-25-30-35 engines are pretty much the same when it comes to available repair parts so we will assume that yours is a 25 HP from the motor cover plate.

The coils on your motor were last used for production in 1988. A different design came out in 1989 and now replaces the older style.

The carb on your motor is a 1989 or newer.

Best guess is that your motor is a 1988-1989 model 25 HP with a replacement powerhead. That should help whenenever you need parts for it.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Mate

Sure hope you can help!rsz_img_20160312_173707876.jpgrsz_img_20160312_173614888.jpgrsz_img_20160312_173531474.jpg

The decals are new but was told it's a 15 HP Evinrude electric start!

No ID plate and no info on the quarter size freeze plug. As you can see from the front picture there are some missing controls but it starts and runs. I think I might need a new water pump because the stream of water is very weak. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Steversz_img_20160312_173218671.jpgrsz_img_20160312_173136328.jpgrsz_img_20160312_173152697.jpg

Skipper

Bill,
Hoping you can help, can you look at some pics of a 6hp I need to id for a refurbish? Plate is missing but motor has real potential.
Admiral

If you can furnish sharp photos of all sides of the motor cover and the powerhead, I can try.  Please be patient, thought, because it takes a lot of time looking up parts, service notes, and pictures trying to identify a motor.