Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: i.d. serial number without id plate

LagoonHunter,

It appears that your motor is a 1991 model year.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

image8.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Skipper

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Here are some pics Bill, thanks for your interest.

Mark

Admiral

What are the numbers and letters on the silver disk seen in the starboard side photo?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Serial number I think 40107208.
Mate

Bill
Thank you again! I really appreciate the help!
I was hoping you could tell me what lead you to the answer about the year of my Evinrude.I'm trying to locate a parts and repair manual to have handy for any future repairs the first one being the water pump!
Again thanks for all your help!
Steve
Admiral

MB,

Your engine appears to be one from about 1975. They were all basically the same back then.

In fact, the water pump kit # 391391 fits all 5-1/2 and 6hp outboards from 1954 through 1979. The points, condensers and coils are all the same, too.

Skipper

Thanks Bill,
The motor looks a little rough but appears to have done little to no salt water work. Gearbox needs a seal kit but other then that is in excellent condition. I removed the flywheel and reset the points and the timing gear looks brand new.
I cleaned up the carb and gave it new plugs and she started after a few attempts, doesn't idle but yet but at least I can now look into some parts to get her all running again.
Is going to be my sons first motor on his first boat.

Cheers Bill for the help
Mark
Mate

Hello Bill,

Could you please help me identify a Johnson 15 hp outboard engine? The only thing I could find on it was this: J2428949. This was on what I believe to be the "freeze plug".

Your help would be much appreciated!

Best Regards

Tamás

Admiral

MB,

We are always glad to help.

It is very satisfying to know that "older iron" is still kept operational and being cared for by those who appreciate outboards.