Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: i.d. serial number without id plate

Hi Bill, you seem to be a popular guy! I have the same issue of not being able to identify this motor. I have a 97 Johnson and this one seems to be very similar but would like your expert opinion if its not to much trouble. Thank you!Copy of 20161105_191001.jpgCopy of 20161105_192211.jpgCopy of 20161105_192232.jpgCopy of 20161105_192244.jpgCopy of 20161105_192318.jpgCopy of 20161105_192329.jpgCopy of 20161105_192342.jpgCopy of 20161105_192407.jpgCopy of 20161105_191001.jpg

Admiral

The motor is a 1993 or '94.  They were almost identical engines down to the decals on the motor cover.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Bill, thank you for the feedback, I have gained knowledge reading these posts.  I also have an Evinrude with no model # I am asking if you can help identify the year.  From my limited insight I think its late 87-90. Thank you in advance. I didn't post the cowling as it has been repainted white and just has the 120 logo on the back. 20161106_140354.jpg20160305_154937.jpg20161106_140415.jpg20161106_140454.jpg20161106_140512.jpg

Mate

Thanks so much!

Admiral

smcpherson5 wrote:

Bill, thank you for the feedback, I have gained knowledge reading these posts.  I also have an Evinrude with no model # I am asking if you can help identify the year.  From my limited insight I think its late 87-90. Thank you in advance. I didn't post the cowling as it has been repainted white and just has the 120 logo on the back. 

The motor looks more like a 1988 thru 1991 model.  The adjustable knob for the dwell timing is missing on the spark-throttle linkage and the throttle roller may be broken, but the image is not very clear.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

After more investigation,  I  narrowed the motor down to a 1989 model 120  H P 

Mate

Thank you BlueWaterBill. 

Mate

Hi Bill,

Could you please work you magic on pictures of my 30hp. To my un trained eye it looks very similar to jimmy591's 25 horse motor back in march.
Mate

The main reason I'm trying to figure out the year is because it's got a nasty misfire that I think is the result of a bad power pack. I'm looking to replace with a CDI unit. Any info/advice would me much appreciated!  

Thanks,

Rick

IMG_1944.JPGIMG_1945.JPGIMG_1946.JPGIMG_1947.JPG

Admiral

That looks like a 1989 with the under flywheel ignition -  UFI