Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
tbrick

lower unit oil

I have a new 25 hp e-tech.  Maybe I missed it in the user manual, but it says nothing about changing oil on a yearly basis in the lower unit.  I always did this before with other motors.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: lower unit oil

You can still change it yearly if you wish, but the E-TEC gear oil only needs a change at 300 hrs. or 3 years, whichever comes first. That doesn't mean that you should ignore it for that time, as it is good practice to remove the propeller occasionally to check for fishing line around the seal and shaft, and to check the oil level and condition.

The owners manual should mention this in the maintenance section.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.