Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: new engine blown within 5 minutes

We are glad to hear that your boat is back on the water. Did the dealer take the boat out for a trial run and to check for any fuel system problems?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sounds like you had a rough start with your brand new motor. I hope this helps: I work for a small dealership out here in  California. One of our local camps uses a large number of E-tecs on their boats. One of the most popular being the 90 hp on 17' Boston Whalers. They have about 6 of these.  They are in salt water, get used year round and are run hard, delivering heavy loads and pulling kids on tubes all day long. The motors usually get 2500-3500 hours before they sell them off and repower the boat (still running strong).  It seems the in line 3 cylinder motors are pretty bulletproof. Other than an occasional injector (usually fuel related) not much happens.  I can't blame you for feeling let down, but I am pretty confident in time you will be pretty impressed with the durability and reliability of your new motor. Make sure at wide open throttle you are getting the right rpm (about 5100-5200) and use xd-100 or xd-50 oil. Also use a good quality fuel stabilizer with every fill up. 

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Hi Hobie,

Glad to see you contributing on this site. Are you keeping busy out there in Catalina?

For those who don't know HOBIE, he is a top-notch tech and very experienced with heavily-used engines. He has serviced Evinrude E-TEC engines that have accumulated over 6000 hours on them.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi Hobie,

I hope the 90 is done with issues and lasts a long time. Seems like they sould at least test the motors before shipping?

I just bought a Grady 300 Marlin with 2010 250 Etecs. with 190 hours

After reading this post ( and others) I am concerned and wondering how the larger engines are fairing reliability wise.

Any input appreciated.

Regards,

Kearnzy