Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

150 H.O or standard for pontoon

I have a 2007 Crest Sporttoon 115 hp etec I an wanting to repower with a G1 150 hp. Lots of people are running H.O.'s on toons but I have been told that a standard lower unit will work better on a pontoon for lift and turning. There are a couple used H.O. models localy and new old stock standards at off season pricing. I would like the added power of the H.O because my boat is only rated for a 150 max and more is better :-)  Do the standard lower units actually performe better on a toon ? Thanks.

Captain

Re: 150 H.O or standard for pontoon

With the current 10 year warranty I'd go for new instead of used. A standard lower unit should give a too better handling
Admiral

On a light fast performance hull there would be a noticeable difference between the recreational and HO models.  Because you have a pontoon boat, there would be unnoticeable or very little change in the way of performance.

As was mentioned, if you can, go with a new engine to take advantage of the 10-years of factory coverage.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Going with a new motor. I was told all my controls for the 2007 Etec 115 will work on the 150. I would like to install a hour meter so I can monitor maint. Is this possible and is there a reccomended model/make. Also I will need a prop since shaft is different. Know I run a 15" Rouge 4-blade and runs out at 5300 rpms (little low in my opinion) and barely moves the boat in reverse (was on boat when purchased). Not knowing if the gear ratios are the same I was thinking of starting with a 13" Rebel as oppossed to the 15" ? Boat is a 22" Crest Sport toon with the 3/4 tube in the middle. I think the weight is 2,000-2,200 lbs. Thanks.

Is the fuel hose diameter the same for both motors ? I will probably put on new since it is weathered.

Admiral

That sounds like a good choice of engines. For an hourmeter, use a digital display such as the I-Command, Icon Pro, or a 3.5, 4.3, or 7.0" display screen. You get not only the hourmeter but much more information and accuracy than with a traditional tachometer. Your dealer can help you out with specifics.

Either a 13" or a 15" should be in the ballpark depending on the load aboard the boat. There is no Rebel 13", it will be an SSP style. Be sure to work with your dealer to be able to test the props to make a determination.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I'm going to disagree with Bill a bit on the expensive displays for a G1 engine. Yes, they would give more information but would require the additional expense of adding network wiring. Any basic hour meter (less than $100) will work. It connects to a ground wire and the purple key on wires that are already in your dash wiring harness.
Skipper

Will I need to upgrade or change my throttle/contol unit ? Will the I-command show/store trouble codes ? This setup and cost involved may be more than I need but if it can do codes that would be a plus.

Looking at different hour meters and the wired purple/back vs the basic hour meters that use a single wire wrapped around a spark plug wire. Do the meters wired to the ignition read hours based on (key on) ? We use the stereo alot with engine off and ignition on, would this count as engine hours anytime key is on ? The ones using spark plug wire to power would only see engine running but the downside is finding a good place to mount under engine cowling do to shorter wire provided.

Admiral

C4vettrn wrote:

We use the stereo alot with engine off and ignition on, would this count as engine hours anytime key is on ? The ones using spark plug wire to power would only see engine running but the downside is finding a good place to mount under engine cowling do to shorter wire provided.

You should not have the stereo wired into the key switch. One is the keyswitch is not rated for more than a 5 amp load in addition to the engine and gauge current requirements without an accessory relay assembly. Also whenever the key is on the engine computer EMM is recording key-on hours, not engine run hours.

A stereo should be wired into a separate dash mounted switch and on a separate fused circuit.

A NMEA2000 network is very easily installed and gives you error codes, engine running hours, temperatures, and all types of engine information. With some accessories or tied into a compatible display or depthfinder and gps, you have all sorts of information at your fingertips. Here are some links to learn more about it.

E-TEC Rigging Story - http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ETEC_Rigging.html#NMEA

E-TEC Rigging notes and networking with INDEX - http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ETEC_Rigging.html

Skipper

OK, thanks you.

One more question for you sir. I will be picking up my motor this weekend and the salesman said it will be set on the XP-100 oil setting. I use Klotz synthetic 2-stroke will this be an issue? I thought I read to have themm setup for 50:1 and that way you can run any oil ? He stated they only do that on the 200 hp and up motors and have the best track record setup for XP-100 at the higher ratio and I need to only run that oil under warranty ?????

Skipper

Did some research on the oil issue and info is all over the place. #1 use xd-100 setting and run only xd-100  #2 Use TCW-3 setting and run the xd-100 oil  #3 Use TCW3 setting and use any good tcw3 rated oil. I have used Klotz 2-cycle synthetic for 25 yrs and live 5 miles from the factory. I would be willing to bet it is every bit as good as the XD-100 as far as protection it's the detergents I am unsure of even though the things I have run it seemed to burn clean. I dont mind any of the above three because at the very least I will be running full synthetic high quality oil. My concern is does the xd-100 setting with xd-100 oil provide me with the best protection based on engine builders experience not internet hypurblly i.e. I would do this if it was mine. Any ETEC mechanics/bulders on this thread site ? Almost every engine manufacture that has a stake or there name on an oil will state to only run there stuff and could/will void warranty if not.