Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2007 75hp EMM Issues

I just purchased a 2007 Crest Pontoon with a 75hp Etec about a month ago.  I noticed after the second day or so that the motor started skipping and sputtering at higher RPMs (around 6k or so).  We boat out if Steinhatchee FL and were out on the bay so we did not go in at the time.  The longer we stayed out the worse the issue became.  The skipping was now starting at around 3500 to 4K RPMs.

Long story short, I am being told it is either the EMM or the stator (spelling?).  I have seen several instances of EMM failure on this site so now I am a little worried about this engine.  Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future?  Also, I have noticed that the Dealer Support for Evinrude may assist with the replacement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Admiral

Re: 2007 75hp EMM Issues

Hatch_Boater wrote:

I just purchased a 2007 Crest Pontoon with a 75hp Etec about a month ago.  I noticed after the second day or so that the motor started skipping and sputtering at higher RPMs (around 6k or so).  

The skipping was now starting at around 3500 to 4K RPMs.

Long story short, I am being told it is either the EMM or the stator (spelling?).

Your 75 HP should never be running in the 6000 rpm range.  The redline is 5500 rpm and should be propped just under that rpm for best results on a pontoon boat.

Very often a "skipping" is due to worn out or widely gapped sparkplugs. A dealer should check the engine over including compression  as it has been overrevving for a while. The tach may also be innacurate and that also is easily checked by the dealer as well as a prop replacement if it is acturally running those high rpms.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

A friend of mine that is a mechanic also suggested that I should change props.  Also, the first thing I found after all the skipping started was a very badly rusted fuel water separator.  We changed the filter and changed fuel lines.  The lines were coming apart on the inside.  I assume the previous owner had ran ethanol fuel!  We did change spark plugs at that time as well.

I put the vessel in the water after these repairs and I only made it about 300 yards from the dock before engine shut down and I had to be towed in.  I started looking under the cowl once I got it back home and noticed that it would run fine until I replaced the cowl cover.  Finally after having my wife start it several times, I found an area of wires that once I pressed on them the engine would shut off.  I immediately took the vessel back to a dealer and he let me know that the wires were just for tilt and trim however underneath those wires was the EMM.  He is still testing but thinks that the EMM is most likely gone.

Thanks for the response and suggestions.  Also, since the prop is rough looking now anyway, what type of prop do you think would be best for this engine?  We are in the salt water flats so lots of oyster bars and rocks to deal with.  I have always used aluminum props versus stainless because of the environment.

Admiral

Now with your mention of additional situations such as rusted fuel filter and deteriorating fuel lines, debris and rubber particles could possibly be lodged in the engine's fuel system, pumps, and injectors. A thorough flushing and cleaning of the engine hoses, pump screen, on-engine filter replacement, and the injector screens should be performed as well as changing out the vapor separator cone-shaped filter screen. If the fuel system is restricted in any way, the engine could run lean and damage pistons or other engine parts.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hopefully, my dealer has looked into that.  I let them know about the bad lines and rust when I took it in.  I will at least mention it to them again.  I hope to hear something from them today.  I am anxious to get the vessel back in the water.  I feel like the dealership has had the boat more than I have!

Thanks for the advice and I will post what we find shortly.