Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2016 Etec-150 Pontoon series on sylvan 24' bi-toon

I have a  Slyvan 8524 DLX pontton with the 150 Pontoon Series engine, SS  SSP TBX 3 Blade Prop Propeller 15.625” x 13, on 2 toons.

First I'm wondering if there is anyway I can download information from the engine that would show me gas & oil consumption ?

I'm questioning my oil and gas usage as it seems very high. I was running on lake in TN 4500-5500 rpm, with 6 avg adults on board. I was using about 10 gals of fuel for every 30 mins of run time, about 12 miles. 

Sylvan has a fuel sending unit issue and I can't tell when i have a full take of fuel as it never goes to full so a little hard to tell exactly how much i was using.

This is a brand new 2016 model boat and engine, this is my first etec after moving from Mercury outboard on my last tooner, I decided to go to the etec because of supposed better gas consumption. My guess is I have put 16 hours on the boat since getting it, I have used 12 gals of oil during those 16 hours. 

I would like to get more data from the engine, will it show what I've used fuel and oil wise ?

Thanks 

Admiral

Re: 2016 Etec-150 Pontoon series on sylvan 24' bi-toon

Here is a link to a Sylvan Pontoon boat,  23'10", with a 150 HP on it with the same propeller you have.

http://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evinrude/Global/MY2017/Documents/Performance-reports/E-tec-200HP...

You can view the  fuel consumption figures at various rpms.

You stated that it consumed 12 gallons of oil in only 16 hours. That would be almost impossible plus there would be oil slicks on the water, a greasy mess all over the engine, and a heavy coating of black carbon on the back of the boat and the motor, plus there would be tremendous smoke output and stink terribly.

Your dealer can run the boat with a laptop and diagnostic software connected to the engine and monitor the exact fuel consumption. The tech could also tell if excessive oil was being used.

What is the top rpm can the motor acheive at full throttle with both a light load, 1 or 2 passengers, and then when heavily loaded with many passengers aboard?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

ok , it was late for me when i posted originally, it was 6 gallons in 16 hours, not sure where 12 came from.

Top rpm with 2 adults was 6400rpm, 6 adults top rpm was 6000. I'm getting about 38 mph, with 2 on board and 32 with 6 on board. I get good up on lane with the rpt tunes on the boat. I'm still concerned with fuel consumption. I guess it is what it is but I certainly thought i would get better with this vs the merc. Thanks for the url for the consumption guide.

Admiral

If you were indeed reaching 6400 rpm, that may be part of the excessive fuel and  oil consumption. Anything above the redline of 6000 rpm has the oil pump delivering much more lube to help protect the life of the motor.

First, the tachometer must be checked for accuracy and your dealer with his laptop can do that very easily. If the engine is reaching above 6000 rpm, then a larger pitch prop is needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.