Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

3 blade prop

I am trying to go to a 3 blade prop from a 4 blade to pickup some speed. JC 246 Tritoon with a 225 evinrude 2003 year, it had  a 4 blade SS solas 14 /8 x 19 on  when I bought it. Have tried to put a 3 blade SS solas on that is a 14.5 x 21 pitch recomended by solas. Problem is when I try to power up when I get to 2500 rpms the motor will rev on up but it is just like the prop came out of the water. Trimming it doesn't help, I can raise and lower the motor by a electric jack but nothing seems to help, put the 4 blade back on and work fine what am I missing.

Admiral

Re: 3 blade prop

Either the propeller has a slipping hub in it or there is ventilation from some reason such as motor too high, exhaust leakage around the prop tube, or prop design that does not work for that application.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

i wonder if it is the exhaust, the prop is a hr3 solas, the 4 blade that works fine is a hr4 solas, that is why I stayed with the solas name because the 4 blade works fine. The prop rear edge is just inside the exhuast  tube or lower unit. I have tried the thrush washer that came with the tritoon and also a thrush washer Solas recommended, same result it is like it looses grip with the water. How far inside the exhaust tube should the prop be?Prop is  brand new has 10 minutes in water.

Admiral

Sorry to say but your are dealing with non-Evinrude parts. We cannot help. Contact your Solas dealer or Solas diectly

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Skipper

went to the marina at our local lake who knew a little about the evinrudes, got to comparing everything and noticed the lower housing is worn about 1/4 to 5/16 away from the prop. Someone has had a prop come loose and wore out the housing. So looks like I will be buying a lower unit housing. Not sure this is the whole problem but it is sure not helping it.I bought the boat used , so shame on me for not catching the problem.

Admiral

Try a known good Evinrude prop with the correct factory thrust washer and see how it performs.

Skipper

I got the prop today will try on Monday.Thanks

Admiral

If you are unsure how to do it, ask the marina to check the propshaft to see if it is even slightly bent. Over 0.002" is the maximum runout allowed.