Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E-TEC with a Foil on a 'toon?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried a hydro-foil on their E-TEC on a pontoon boat?

A bit of background - my 20' Weeres 'toon is fairly "stern heavy" with the I-3 motor, batteries, fuel and myself.  At higher speeds, I get a Lot of splash coming right up from under the rear deck and all over the motor.  So much that I'd be afraid to run a laptop with EV Diag anywhere near the stern.  I've raised the motor 2 holes, and it looks just about identical as it did before.

I've thought about adding some weight to the bow, but also considering a "No-Drill" foil.  Not looking to make a bassboat out of a 'toon, but wondering if anyone has ever tried a foil?  Trim Tabs would be way out of line for this, and where would you fasten them?   Smiley Wink 

Thanks!

TexToon

Admiral

Re: E-TEC with a Foil on a 'toon?

What motor do you have on the pontoon boat, what propeller model and size, and what is the top rpm with a normal load onboard?

The use of a "foil" will be trial and error. If possible, can you redistribute the weight inside the deck area?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

2007 I-3  E90DPLSUM

Thinking that you're exactly right on the weight distribution.  Since I'm 99% "alone", was thinking to add gym weights stacked on pipes up at the front corners.  The Foil wouldn't add as much weight though, if it would level me out a bit at moderate speeds.  Don't do much WOT running.

Top end is 23 mph (GPS) @ 5,200 rpm (Top end of 'Optimum' but via Faria analog) with 'stock' 14 X11 aluminum #763301.  May get to go with a Hydrus?, if I get the "spray" fixed and EV Diag hooked up to get true rpm's.  Can't run WOT with the top cowling off now.

Thanks!

Skipper

If you do decide on a foil I like the ones from Bob's. They are aluminum, have a mild footprint and alot better looking than those dolphine flipper plastic ones :-)  I used a Bob's highspeed low water nose cone on go fast boat (Hydrostream V-King for you older guys) and he makes a quality product. They are a bolt on, I havent seen any that attach any different. I may end up with one myself on '22 Crest Sport tune that was tail heavy with my v4 E-Tec and I just ordered a V6 to replace it :-)

Skipper

Another option is to just buy some plate aluminum and make a cardboard templet for a design. Make several sizes and go with the smallest that works for your application. There aint nothing special about them your just increasing the foot print of whats allready there. Just play with the width and lenght untill your satified with the results.