Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Manitou Oasis Angler batteries

Hello,

I am a new member hoping that I made the correct decision of boat and motor. I was primarily a sailor so power boating is not really my knowledge base. I have on order a 2018 22' Manitou Oasis angler full front. I should also point out that I am not yet much of a fisherman. I have ordered the SHP hull and a G2 250 HO engine. I have seen the BRP test results of an older model but I have been informed that Manitou has revised the transom for to a 25". Other than needing an engine with 25" shaft, I don't know how that plays into prop selection. Most of the time there will be two people on the boat plus whatever gear can be stowed on a boat that really doesn't have much stowage. My biggest concern is that I have been advised that I should order a 112 lb. thrust trolling motor. I intend to outfit the boat with the latest technology as I am quite old and this is the last new boat. I'm counting on learning to use everything eventually. Now to the real issue. I do not have shore power available. That means I need a brilliant brainstorm or the engine has to charge the batteries. I am contemplating 4 Interstate 34m AGMs. One for the engine and three for the 36 volt motor. Also would plan on using one of the three for a house battery. Is there any feasibility to this? Including a consideration for boat trim, where should the batteries be located? How much alternator output is actually available for charging? Of course any prop suggestions wouold be welcomed. 

Thank you in advance,

Admiral

Re: Manitou Oasis Angler batteries

Your engine is not set up to charge trolling motor batteries.

Because of the heavy amperage draw that a trolling motor takes from a series of batteries, especially on a trolling motor like you described, you would need many hours of high speed running time to charge them back up even if possible.

The Evinrude E-TEC G2 250 HO has a 50 amp charging capacity or with the optional battery isolator cable, it can charge two 12-volt batteries independently.

IMPORTANT:

The accessory battery connection
must only be used to charge a single 12-
volt battery or two 12-volt batteries wired in
parallel. The accessory connection must not
be used to charge any battery in a 24-volt or 36-volt
system.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I am looking into the idea of using the Stealth 1 system with either two Walmart 29 size batteries for the starting and house or one of the Walmart batteries and use a 12v tap off a 36 v lithium battery that would power the trolling motor. As I understand it, the charge from the engine goes to the starting battery until it exceeds 13v and from that battery to the Stealth device which in turn charges the house and trolling batteries. There would be no need for the auxillary cable. (I am presuming that the engine only has the 50 amps regardless of how many cables are output.) While i understand that everything has to be taken with a grain of salt and there is no "free lunch" there seems to be a lot of satisfied users over the years.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Do not attempt with lithium batteries !

Lithium batteries are very sensitive to charging rates and require special equipment.

Evinrude sent out  service literature to dealers telling them not to use lithium batteries on an outboard.

Not only that but an outboard should never be connected to trolling motor battery banks - except for the ground cable only.  Always refer to the factory rigging information and the pre-delivery instruction book for proper procedures.

Having 2 traditional starting batteries is fine by themselves. You can use a voltage sensitive relay but it is quicker to install the Evinrude optional aux. battery charging cable to your motor. Both batteries will be charged and regulated independently that way.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

SailorBill, I'm not familiar with the stealth 1 device. The charging outputs on an Etec is two 25 amp outputs tied together at the solenoid for a total of 25 amps. Charging batteries that are wired parallel (i.e. a battery switch in the "both" position) with a single charging input will charge both batteries to an average full charge. The most discharged battery, usually the house battery will never get a full charge.
To safely charge lithium batteries I think you would need to connect an inverter to the house battery and use a charger designed for those batteries. No charging system on outboards or automobiles is designed to be a generator and run at full output 100% of the time. It all seems like a lot of warnings, but be aware that the charging system rectifier/regulator is built into the EMM. This makes for a very expensive repair when the engine charging system is asked to do more than it was designed for.
Mate

BluewaterBill&Rickmcd53,

I am on a steep learning curve but what I think I understand is that the Stealth system has the alternator going to the starting battery which is charged alone until it reaches 13 V at which time the amps FROM THE BATTERY are passed on to the Stealth charger which in turn boosts the voltage to 24 or 36 as required for the trolling motor system. I haven't quite figured out the house battery yet.  I sure do not want to mess with the engine electronics!!

Highlighted
Admiral

For the amount of power that is taken from the 36 volt battery bank to run the heavy duty trolling motor, I doubt that the engine would provide enough power input to the system to charge up the batteries using the Stealth system. For it to work you would have to run hours at cruise or above to charge them back up.

Even the literature says it helps but you may need a 110 volt dedicated charger to keep them topped off. It says the system only cuts down on the number of time the trolling batteries need to be charged.

You should call both the lithium battery company and Stealth to see if the product is approved for lithium batteries. If not, a fire could erupt in certain situations. That is why they are not approved by Evinrude .

Also the charging input would be less than 1/3 of what the engine can generate because the voltage has to be "stepped up" 3X which drops the charging amps to 1/3 or less of the engine output. Then you have to figure in losses to run the Stealth electronics and the losses in power through the electronic components. those losses are probably another 15-20% reduction in output compared to input power.